|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Annabella |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Annabella Like a person, only smaller

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:14 - 18 Sep 2009 Post subject: When simple jobs go wrong... |
 |
|
Tomorrow it's a very special day for Donkey - it's MOT day. The garage are forewarned of the special treatment Donkey requires and have been kindly asked not to laugh.
Donkey has been spruced up especially for the occasion and tonight, I had the very simple task of fitting a new clutch lever. To be honest, I was amazed at how dirty my hands were from just removing the old lever... I must have been reading too many "Heavy Bus Racing" 'how to' guides (ok, so that required some percussive persuasion and a lot of WD40) and putting the new one on. Here's my dirty hand.
https://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs235.snc1/8235_258142770566_790925566_8726176_6836566_n.jpg
From there, I checked the oil level... bugger all. Which reminds me, the car's been running a bit on the hot side so I'd better check the coolant level.
Off I toddle and get the bonnet open. There's barely any water in there, so I get my watering can and ring Dad so he can listen to Donkey running. I get ever so slightly carried away chatting and overfill the expansion chamber completely.
Me: "Bugger!"
Dad: "What's the matter?"
Me: "Too much water in the car now"
Dad" "Ah, just stick the cap on and run it for a bit, then see."
Me *clambers into car, starts it*
Dad: "muffle muffle muffle"
Me: "Can't hear you, car's too loud"
There's no difference made, so there's only one thing for it - syphoning.
I try using a squeezy squash bottle, but that's just useless and I manage to extract approximately 50ml which I then promptly spill all over my engine.
Dad is still on the phone at this point: "Er, don't you have any hosepipe?"
Me: "It's all scummy and full of spiders and crawling things"
Dad: Just chop the ends off and give it a swill through
I can't give it a swill through unfortunately, because, somehow, I managed to empty my pond last night so one end of my proper hosepipe is in the pond filling it up. I assess my tools and decide a bread knife is definitely the best thing for the job of chopping up a hosepipe.
Phone still under one ear, I start chopping.
Me: OUCH!!! FOooooook!!!
Dad: *laughs*
Me: I've sawed my bloody finger and now I've got bloody blood all on my new kitchen worksurface!! AND I'm going to get it on my engine cos it's bleeding everywhere! Meh
Dad: What were you using?
Me: Breadknife
I can hear Dad face-palming
My sawed finger:
https://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs235.snc1/8235_258142775566_790925566_8726177_6158891_n.jpg
Never mind. On with the task in hand. Out I go with my sawn-off green hosepipe, now attractively decorated with blood.
https://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs215.snc1/8235_258142780566_790925566_8726178_6045464_n.jpg
In it goes, and I start to suck. Dad's trying to give me advice how I can do this without having to suck, I'm too impatient.
BLEH BLEH BLEH BLEH BLEH!!! Pah! *spit spit*
The stuff tastes MINGING!
Dad, is still on the phone and laughing at me. Thanks Dad.
Dad: I take it you ignored my advice and just sucked? Well, has it worked?
Me: Er, well it stopped after I waved the end of the hosepipe around as I spat out the coolant in my mouth.
Dad: You know you've got to keep the end below the expansion chamber don't you?
Me: YES!!
*sucks again*
I haven't learnt my lesson and get yet another mouth full of still warm, foul tasting antifreeze.
Geh.
To add insult to injury, when I was tidying up and putting my sawed-off hosepiper away I managed to put my whole head in a big spider's web.
Edit, a little photo whoring of my 'hot' car:
https://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs215.snc1/8235_258142785566_790925566_8726179_2496954_n.jpg
I'm off to drink wine to try and get this nasty horrid taste out of my mouth. Donkey had better pass it's MOT tomorrow! ____________________ Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell!
www.bikepics.com/members/bella |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hellkat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hellkat Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:18 - 18 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Its just not your day, is it?
 ____________________ Not nearly as interesting in real life. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Barry_M2 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Barry_M2 World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Sep 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Luke_Retrofly |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Luke_Retrofly Silly Lesbian

Joined: 05 Jul 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:23 - 18 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Clutch plates on a VFR, 3 days and lots of swearing on G's drive way!!! Stupid Japanese!
I feel your pain.
Luke |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Handsome |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Handsome World Chat Champion

Joined: 30 Dec 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Skudd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Skudd Super Spammer

Joined: 01 Oct 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:28 - 18 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
When my G/F is bleeding I always get her to suck.  ____________________ Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm". |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SlimRick |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SlimRick World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Handsome |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Handsome World Chat Champion

Joined: 30 Dec 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Phoenix |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Phoenix Twisted Firestarter

Joined: 01 Aug 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Luke_Retrofly |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Luke_Retrofly Silly Lesbian

Joined: 05 Jul 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:40 - 18 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I couldn't remember what order I took it all out. There was something like 30 bits, stupid expanding clutch thingy.
The first time I put it together the clutch worked in reverse  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Annabella |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Annabella Like a person, only smaller

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 17:55 - 19 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
To update: Donkey passed it's MOT
After having to fiddle with the lights which inexplicably stopped working during the MOT, having to fit a new front brake switch after the existing one fell apart in my hand whilst fiddling with headlights, and fitting a new throttle cable when taking apart the switches to see why the lights had stopped working revealed there were only 2 threads holding the thing together. ____________________ Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell!
www.bikepics.com/members/bella |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tarmacsurfer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tarmacsurfer World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Major_Grooves |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Major_Grooves The Doctor

Joined: 10 May 2002 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:06 - 19 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have a tendency to lose finger ends whilst using knives too...  ____________________ Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ZRX61 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ZRX61 Victor Meldrew
Joined: 05 Nov 2003 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:25 - 19 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Somebody go over to his house & weld his fucking toolbox shut  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:37 - 19 Sep 2009 Post subject: Re: When simple jobs go wrong... |
 |
|
Easy syphoning... get an empty washing up liquid bottle and make a hole next in the top, next to the lid.
Attach tube. Squeeze bottle with hole open, place finger over hole and let go.
Or get a fancy syphon pump thingy like what I got for racing . |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Annabella |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Annabella Like a person, only smaller

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Handsome |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Handsome World Chat Champion

Joined: 30 Dec 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:01 - 20 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
So you could have filled two of the bottles up from the third one, wouldn't have mattered about mixing them as they're only washing up liquids anyway...
Just for future reference like...  ____________________ Previous Bikes...Honda NSR 125 RR...Kawasaki Zephyr 550...Suzuki SV 1000 S...Yamaha FZ8...Current Bike...Suzuki GSX-R 750... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Wave2k |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Wave2k G's Stalker

Joined: 06 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:11 - 20 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I opened some cheese a few days ago and ended up driving the knife through my hand.
simple things  ____________________ Ducati 1299 Panigale
2009 Corvette C6 z51
RS125->CBR400->RXS100->GSXR750K2->Ducati749S->CBR600RR5->TL1000R->DRz400->RSVR1000->Honda VTR SP1->CBR400->GSXR1000K6->Honda H100->CBR600RR3->Ducati1299 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Luke_Retrofly |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Luke_Retrofly Silly Lesbian

Joined: 05 Jul 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:55 - 20 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Simple minds  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| st3v3 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 st3v3 Super Spammer

Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:14 - 20 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
I find it amusing that during this drama there were moments of pause for taking pictures.  ____________________ Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| EuropeanNC30R... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 EuropeanNC30R... Gay Hairdresser
Joined: 20 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:25 - 20 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
Oh and the issue with Luke's VFR was that we had initially messed up the two separate halves of the clutch basket - only bike I've seen with a design like that. I've done/helped with quite a few since, and they work first time now . |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Annabella |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Annabella Like a person, only smaller

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kingsmith |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kingsmith Scooby Slapper

Joined: 04 Apr 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:51 - 20 Sep 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
my big guestion is why you needed to remove some water, top up and drive away do it all the time with my car?
its not totaly closed water system in there..always some where to come out..
always fines its own level.. ____________________ honda cg 125 copy cheap and crap, perfect for work..
suzuki gsxr600 srad 2000
passed 12/11/09 happy boy |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|