Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


If I was a traffic policeman......

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Stalk
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:16 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: If I was a traffic policeman...... Reply with quote

There are always a few complaints from all road users about being prosecuted for breaking the laws, be it stupid parking to 150 mph on the M1. Now the rules are genaraly well known (and if you don't then maybe you should read your highway code again Smile ) and they are often black and white.

Now I personaly would be very exact on 30 limits in residental areas, 35 and I would give you a ticket. But on clear NSL roads I would exersise common sense and conditions allowing at 3AM on a deserted dual carrigeway or clear motorway if someones doing 120ish I would probably not bother.

So, if you where traffic police, what would you do different?

(I was so bored today)

Cheers
Stalk.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:24 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get my riot sheild and go sledging!!!
____________________
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who do 35-40mph in an NSL (who aren't towing or driving a lorry etc.) in perfect conditions would be shot
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:56 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was a traffic policeman I'd stop every car that had fog lights on when it isn't foggy and fine them, and every driver seen on their mobiles would be stopped, dragged out of their cars and zapped 3 times.
Job's a good'un! Laughing Thumbs Up
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattHirst
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:04 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with 'foglights' is sometimes they aren't actually the fog lights on.

A lot of cars nowadays, the fog lights come on when you turn your sidelights/headlights on, although it isn't the higher W bulb/filament lighting up, seen it on quite a few cars

Although i know what you mean, theres one prick at my work that drives an mr2 (roadstar aswell, we think he is actually a fag...sits down to piss ffs!) and thinks it's the bees knees and owns the road. Drives with his foglights and headlights on when it's sunny/perfect visibility. Although we had the last laugh when he had his roof down (when it was overcast, told you he was a knob) and it started pissing it down, was bouncing a few feet off the road. He pulled over to put his roof up but for some reason it wouldn't stay clipped up and kept falling down. He had giant puddles in his car, it was hilarious Laughing
____________________
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's bloody hilarious!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SlimRick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:13 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be an absolute bastard and pull people over if I didn't like the look of them, find something wring with their car and fuck them over properly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:32 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would nick anyone who sat at traffic lights / junction with their foot on the brake, blinding me while behind them. I mean, is it that f**king hard to put your handbrake on?!

When people do this now, I just sit there with full beam on until they realise! Laughing
____________________
ZXR750R (M2) - For the road.
CBR1000 RR4 - For the track.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4332
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MattHirst
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:36 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest i do that unless i'm quite far back in the cue or if i know i won't be moving in a few seconds - 10 seconds.

Although i never do it when it's getting dull/dark if there is someone behind me. Well, if they are blinding me with badly adjusted headlights, i'll stick my fog light on and hold my brakes on just to piss them off Very Happy
____________________
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's bloody hilarious!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:15 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd be well picky...brake light out, not indicating, noit using a roundabout correctly... generally shit driving.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:23 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never stop a guy with a RX7 Nakano rep lid riding a Triumph Speed Four or Yamaha TDM ever.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattHirst
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:24 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I would never stop a guy with a RX7 Nakano rep lid riding a Triumph Speed Four or Yamaha TDM ever.


I would, purely on the basis of having a homo helmet and an awful 2nd bike Razz Laughing
____________________
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's bloody hilarious!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:29 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd book the wanker in the Audi that drives around the estate at night, constantly slowing down then speeding up just to hear the sound of his exhaust.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattHirst wrote:
chris-red wrote:
I would never stop a guy with a RX7 Nakano rep lid riding a Triumph Speed Four or Yamaha TDM ever.


I would, purely on the basis of having a homo helmet and an awful 2nd bike Razz Laughing




Genius Helmet, and an incredibly loud, practical second bike Razz
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:01 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry_MC21 wrote:
I would nick anyone who sat at traffic lights / junction with their foot on the brake, blinding me while behind them. I mean, is it that f**king hard to put your handbrake on?!

When people do this now, I just sit there with full beam on until they realise! Laughing


Twat.

It's generally the dipshits who put their handbrake on who waste 5 secs after the lights turn green taking the damn thing off, finding first and going.

Generally I sit there with footbrake on, in 1st, ready to go, watching the other lights to see when they change so I can get off the line immediately. Should allow at least another car to make it through if we're all paying attention.

As for putting it on at a junction, where do I start? Rolling Eyes

I'll only stick the HB on if it is dark and a particularly long hold.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:07 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

a) Shoot any Sunday drivers with a blowdart filled with speed to get them moving

b) If people are hogging lanes on motorway/dual carriageway I'd pull them and fit a cats eyes locator that prohibits the car from cutting across the right hand side cats eyes, thus keeping them in the slow lane.

c) Any theives caught with stolen bikes should be returned to said bike owners house in cuffs and you should have free reign on beating any damages out of said pikey.

d) Cyclists who don't obey road rules will automatically open themselves up to getting back handed by motorists.

Ok I've decided on changing/adding laws rather than becoming a police officer.
____________________
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
warped one This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Syx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:36 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damofo D.O.G. wrote:
It's generally the dipshits who put their handbrake on who waste 5 secs after the lights turn green taking the damn thing off, finding first and going.


Disagree.
By using the handbrake I can pre-engage both the clutch and the accelerator before the light changes without creeping forwards, and as a result get a faster pull-away than someone who has to keep one foot on the brake pedal, as all I have to do is drop the handbrake.
And for a really speedy getaway, you can be holding the handbrake yourself, rather than on the ratchet.

I would pull people for mobile phones, driving too slowly in NSLs and foglights. The drivers that really annoy me with foglights are the ones that use them instead of dipped beam headlights... dicks.

I'd also routinely pull over old people and other incompetent drivers who are holding up queues of traffic, if only to let the queue go past. If I could nick someone for not overtaking the slowcoach in that kind of situation, I'd do that too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:52 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handbrakes:

In manuals - use the hand brake, you can move away quicker and it stops you accidentally rolling.

In a semi automatic, use the foot brake - it engages the anti roll system so you don't roll back while the gear engages.

In an auto, the handbrake is often not strong enough to hold the car in place, and engaging / disengaging park is time consuming so use the foot brake.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:05 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syx wrote:
Damofo D.O.G. wrote:
It's generally the dipshits who put their handbrake on who waste 5 secs after the lights turn green taking the damn thing off, finding first and going.


Disagree.
By using the handbrake I can pre-engage both the clutch and the accelerator before the light changes without creeping forwards, and as a result get a faster pull-away than someone who has to keep one foot on the brake pedal, as all I have to do is drop the handbrake.
And for a really speedy getaway, you can be holding the handbrake yourself, rather than on the ratchet.


Yup, agree on all points there, although I personally don't like wearing my clutch out for no reason.

How come I get away faster than 90% of others at the lights then, even when I'm in my shitbox?

Simples, because they are not paying attention, which was one of my points.

Regardless of whether or not one way is actually faster if you're paying attention, sitting behind someone with your main beam on (a MUCH brighter light source than any brake light) is a twattish thing to do.

As I said, I'll stick the HB on if it's dark and a long hold, it can be annoying for long periods looking at brakelights, I agree.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RatBlack
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:26 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were a Traffic Cop.... hang on I am Cool

As it happens today I did stop people for using a mobile phone whilst driving, having fogs on for no reason and a moped on L plates with a pillion.

There are many annoyances on the road and if I see poor or dangerous driving then I will have a polite word.
____________________
Robocop "Dead or alive, you're coming with me."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:43 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In an auto, the handbrake is often not strong enough to hold the car in place, and engaging / disengaging park is time consuming so use the foot brake.


Surely a handbrake is a handbrake, regardless of the transmission type?

If it isn't strong enough to hold the car in place, it isn't adjusted correctly.

I would discourage the average moron from using the handbrake, as it takes them too damn long to get moving again. I'll put up with brake lights in my face when stationary. I find brake lights far more annoying when you are following someone who isn't confident in using the gears to control the car speed, on a windy country road for example, or is following someone too closely and is constantly on the anchors.


I am an angry driver, If I was a traffic cop, I would pull over everyone who isn't meeting the speed limit without good reason.

At this time of year being blinded by oncoming high beams are the most irritating thing, isn't much you can do about enforcing that though tbh.

Just have a quiet mutter to myself about the incompetence of those who cannot drive without turning night into day.
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Syx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:07 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damofo D.O.G. wrote:
Regardless of whether or not one way is actually faster if you're paying attention, sitting behind someone with your main beam on (a MUCH brighter light source than any brake light) is a twattish thing to do.


Missed your point about paying attention, clearly! I just made the assumption that normal people do... which in hindsight may have been a mistake. Razz

TBH brake lights in front don't bother me, as I've done the same to drivers behind without thinking about it and I'm sure they don't realise what they're doing either.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:11 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Re: If I was a traffic policeman...... Reply with quote

Stalk wrote:
So, if you where traffic police, what would you do different?

(I was so bored today)

Cheers
Stalk.


Any car with lights in in the day time.....
Any car that sits in a box junction..... Could even extend this to any driver that blocks a junction meaning other traffic can't turn into or out of said roads.
Any car that parks on the wrong side of the road ( so they have to stop traffic both ways to get out)
Any driver on a mobile

Agree with the sitting with foot on the brake as well. Should they be rear ended, they will shoot forward into the car infront as their foot is knocked of the brake.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:12 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry_MC21 wrote:
I would nick anyone who sat at traffic lights / junction with their foot on the brake, blinding me while behind them. I mean, is it that f**king hard to put your handbrake on?!

When people do this now, I just sit there with full beam on until they realise! Laughing


I'm being taught to keep my foot on the brake when at traffic lights.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:30 - 15 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
Barry_MC21 wrote:
I would nick anyone who sat at traffic lights / junction with their foot on the brake, blinding me while behind them. I mean, is it that f**king hard to put your handbrake on?!

When people do this now, I just sit there with full beam on until they realise! Laughing


I'm being taught to keep my foot on the brake when at traffic lights.


Quote:
114

You MUST NOT

* use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
* use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226)

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.


If I'm honest whenever I'm stopped at traffic lights I'm not paying attention to what's going on. I haven't driven for a month now, but I'm pretty sure I just brake with the footbrake and if it's a level surface take my foot off the brake without putting the handbrake on.

Pyro
____________________
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.68 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.86 Kb