Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Mountain Bike Tech Help.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 05 May 2010    Post subject: Mountain Bike Tech Help. Reply with quote

Hi guys.

I have a trek mountain bike which has been abused for the past 8 years. I have decided to go over it and make repairs and replacements where needed along with general maintenance.

My problem is that I don't know much about mountain bike parts, but I don't have any problem fitting anything. I will try to give you as much detail about each part I can and provide photos so you can tell me what I need to get my bike sorted again.

This is my shopping list.

*4x V Brake Pads
*Front Sprockets
*Rear Sprockets
*Rear Derailer Cogs
*New Chain

I am needing new V brake pads for both front and rear. The ones that are originally on there are made by avid and they say "Din A" on them. I liked them so I'll want to order something similar.

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/david_m213/AvidPads2.jpg

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/david_m213/AvidPads1.jpg

There are three front sprockets. I am wanting to replace these but I don't even know if you buy the individual sprockets or buy all three together. Here are a couple of photos if these are any help.

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/david_m213/SuntourSpeedXR180.jpg

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/david_m213/FrontSprockets.jpg

I could read "561-24" off one of them if that's any help.

Then onto the rear sprockets:

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/david_m213/RearSprockets.jpg

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/david_m213/RearSprocketsCloseup.jpg

Then there are these plastic cogs on the rear derailer:

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/david_m213/DerailerCogs.jpg

I don't know if these need replaced or not but I might as well if I'm replacing everything.

As for the chain, is it just a case of cutting it and counting all the links?

Any questions will be answered about number of teeth on specific sprockets etc if needed. The bike is a trek y26 frame if that tells you anything.

Thanks for any help. Ebay links would be best so I can get all this stuff ordered and on the way.
Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:35 - 05 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_249200_langId_-1_categoryId_230503

You can't replace the chain-rings on their own, they will be rivete to the crank. The freewheel can be replaced:

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_209833_langId_-1_categoryId_165540

Think it's a six speed.

Chain will he a HG/IG shimano one and parts of the drive train will be marked HG/IG.
____________________
"because one stroke isnt enough and four strokes waste two"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SpicyBlimp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:54 - 05 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

chainreactioncycles.com will have everything you need, get all my parts from them.

If you email them the pictures they should tell you what you need Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:06 - 06 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of stuff you're needing there.

Can I recommend to you, www.chainreactioncycles.com Purveyors of a wide selection of reasonhably prices and speedily delivered bicycle stuff to the masses.

Brake pads first. They don't say divA. They say Avid. About £5.99 a pair.

Chainrings. It's a cheapo suntour chainset. You could replace the entire chainset (ie the whole crank complete with three chainrings attached) with a new one of equivalent quality for £16. I'm presuming it fits on a square taper. Count the teeth on your chainrings and buy the same, probably 28; 38; 48.

You'll need a crank pulling tool or a loan of one. Undo the central bolt, screw in the extractor, tighten the extractor bolt and it'll pop off.

While you're there. Judging by the shit state of the rest of it, consider replacing the bottom bracket too. You'll get a lower end, shimano square-taper, sealed bottom bracket for just over a tenner. Measure the overall length of your existing bottom bracket with the cranks removed (between 103 and 122mm usually, it's probably 118mm) also measure the width of the frame where it screws in (68 or 73mm).

The rear cogs on yours are known as a "freewheel". You'll need a pulling tool to remove yours by turning it anticlockwise using the notches in the middle. I strongly suspect it will be nigh-on impossable to remove so see if you can take it off before blowing your wad on a new one.

You have a 6-speed, spin-on freewheel. They are pretty much obsolete. Ebay is the best bet, expect to pay around a fiver.

If it wont come off, you're looking at a new wheel or making do with the one you have (if it isn't skipping on the smallest cog, it's probably ok. A clean up and lube can only help). I'd suggest replacing the wheel bearings and regreasing the hub internals.

The deralieur jockey wheels are easy. Shimano items. £2.99 a set.

The chain is in a shocking state. You'll need a 3/32", 6 or 7 speed chain. £6.99 for a cheaper end one. Count the links. You will also need a chain splitting tool to remove the old chain, remove excess links off the new one and rejoin it.

I'll also point you in the direction of Sheldon Browns superb website on how to do all things bicycle. If you don't know how to do something, look it up in the glossary and there will usually be a link to a detailed article on the subject. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/

EDIT: Tack a bottle of chain lube onto the end of your order eh?
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:25 - 06 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through the same thought processes about 2 months ago, i decided a new bike was in order as the price of the parts and tools far outweighed the value I'd place on the bike - the suspension was past it's best and realistically I would have also needed new chain, cranks, sprockets, cables , tyres, inner tubes, grips and bearings all round.


BTW, cranks and front sprocket can be removed in pikey fashion with a dremel to cut the sprockets off and then a big hammer to bash the F out of the cranks. Probably doesnt do your bottom bracket much good though.

Bin it or bodge it Thumbs Up .
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.63 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 49.68 Kb