|
|
| Author |
Message |
| UnspeedySam |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 UnspeedySam World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:21 - 13 May 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Just undo the cable going into the back of the clocks, roll bike forward the cable spins? = your clocks are the broken bit.
If doesn't turn then your cable is snapped 5 minute replacement job. ____________________ Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Paxovasa |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Paxovasa World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Apr 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| DrDonnyBrago |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 DrDonnyBrago World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jan 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 27cows |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 27cows World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:45 - 13 May 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've jarred the cable out of the speedo housing over potholes more than once. Usually you can just push the cable back into place. Makes you wonder why they didn't make it a few mm longer  ____________________ The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| UnspeedySam |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 UnspeedySam World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:41 - 13 May 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Whoops I forgot I posted this Thanks for all the informative replies. I might have a chance to have a look tomorrow.
However much I love this bike and all the fun I've had on it, I do sometimes wish I had my friend's nearly new YBR. However, even after fixing all these little things I'll still be about £700 better off and have a more characterful bike  ____________________ Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Serendipity |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Serendipity World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Jun 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| UnspeedySam |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 UnspeedySam World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:58 - 14 May 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ok, the drive cable is snapped almost cleanly in two A few people mentioned putting resistance on the cable when testing it, so is it not ok to ride the bike with half a speedo cable?
Also, newbie question: What kind of grease should I buy for greasing the axle/speedo cogs when I'm fitting the new cable?
edit: Just read the haynes manual and allegedly it's as simple as removing a little clip. The little hole is full of crap on my bike so I didn't spot it... Would still like to know what grease I should be buying though, assuming the cable I just bought won't come ready-greased.
Cheers ____________________ Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| UnspeedySam |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 UnspeedySam World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:38 - 14 May 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Just bought:
Yambits Speedo Cable
CarlubeLM2 Lithium Grease
Hope to get it sorted by Tuesday. Want to go to the Poole bike night and it's a bit far to go with no speedo  ____________________ Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 27cows |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 27cows World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:20 - 14 May 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I had about six rev counter cables but no spare speedo item when my last one snapped. So I modified the outer by shortening it, so the tacho inner cables would fit. I expected this bodge to be short lived and the inner cable to last a dozen miles before snapping...but 35,000 miles later it's still fine  ____________________ The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 144 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|