Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


RXS Speedo Died

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:20 - 13 May 2010    Post subject: RXS Speedo Died Reply with quote

I think it happened when I hit a camouflaged pot hole last night. But the speedo now reads 0 regardless of speed. I probably won't have time to have a look until the weekend, but what is the problem most likely to be? I'm going to take apart the clock and see if the drive is turning first I think...

Cheers
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:21 - 13 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just undo the cable going into the back of the clocks, roll bike forward the cable spins? = your clocks are the broken bit.

If doesn't turn then your cable is snapped 5 minute replacement job.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:23 - 13 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedo cable may just have come loose.
____________________
Suzuki GSF600 K3 (in the fastest colour, black).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 13 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Just undo the cable going into the back of the clocks, roll bike forward the cable spins? = your clocks are the broken bit.

If doesn't turn then your cable is snapped 5 minute replacement job.


Do this but also hold the cable in an attempt to stop in spining (not too hard)
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:12 - 13 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Just undo the cable going into the back of the clocks, roll bike forward the cable spins? = your clocks are the broken bit.

If doesn't turn then your cable is snapped 5 minute replacement job.


He could have broken the speedo drive too.

If pushing it forward doesn't turn the cable at the speedo end then take the cable off at both ends and spin it by hand - if it doesnt spin then yes the cable is snapped (put a little resistance on it as chris suggested though). If it does spin then the speedo drive (probably front wheel) is probably the culprit and would need replacing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:45 - 13 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've jarred the cable out of the speedo housing over potholes more than once. Usually you can just push the cable back into place. Makes you wonder why they didn't make it a few mm longer Confused
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:41 - 13 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops I forgot I posted this Razz Thanks for all the informative replies. I might have a chance to have a look tomorrow.

However much I love this bike and all the fun I've had on it, I do sometimes wish I had my friend's nearly new YBR. However, even after fixing all these little things I'll still be about £700 better off and have a more characterful bike Very Happy
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Serendipity
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:34 - 14 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonnyBrago wrote:
He could have broken the speedo drive too...


Most likely to be either the cable snapped or come adrift. However I had the speedo drive go a couple of times when I used to do big daily miles on the RXS.

The weather seal on the front drum is far from perfect and I had water and road crap get in and seize the speedo drive. I seem to remember that there is a sacrificial tabbed washer that shears off and prevents further damage.

I just cleaned up the drive cogs and re-greased them, then fitted a new tabbed washer. The genuine Yamaha part was only pennies.
____________________
2007 CBF1000 & 2016 CBF1000F - Commuter heaven | 1994 CBR600FR - Awaiting defibrillation
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:58 - 14 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the drive cable is snapped almost cleanly in two Razz A few people mentioned putting resistance on the cable when testing it, so is it not ok to ride the bike with half a speedo cable?

Also, newbie question: What kind of grease should I buy for greasing the axle/speedo cogs when I'm fitting the new cable?

edit: Just read the haynes manual and allegedly it's as simple as removing a little clip. The little hole is full of crap on my bike so I didn't spot it... Would still like to know what grease I should be buying though, assuming the cable I just bought won't come ready-greased.

Cheers
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:24 - 14 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fine to ride with a broken cable, leave it on to save getting crap in the clocks speedo drive, I would use generic grease for the drive I can;t imagine it matter that much a new cable should be around £10
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:38 - 14 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought:
Yambits Speedo Cable
CarlubeLM2 Lithium Grease

Hope to get it sorted by Tuesday. Want to go to the Poole bike night and it's a bit far to go with no speedo Razz
____________________
Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:20 - 14 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had about six rev counter cables but no spare speedo item when my last one snapped. So I modified the outer by shortening it, so the tacho inner cables would fit. I expected this bodge to be short lived and the inner cable to last a dozen miles before snapping...but 35,000 miles later it's still fine Laughing
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 144 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.65 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 74.08 Kb