|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Leodbroga |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Leodbroga Renault 5 Driver

Joined: 13 Mar 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:39 - 25 Aug 2012 Post subject: Yamaha XJR 400 carburettor issues - Update! |
 |
|
Hey, got myself my first big bike almost two weeks ago, a Yamaha XJR 400 and guess what? It's giving me jip. Bear with me here, because it's pretty confusing.
When I got the bike, it wouldn't idle properly; either at 2.5K - 3k revs or just below 1k, now this problem has been partially solved by getting the carbs balanced today. It now idles around 1.5k revs, which is perfect.
But my issue is that once warm, the revs get 'stuck' at around 2.5K still, so at lights and junctions it's a nightmare to do a smooth pull away. It may sound trivial but I know it isn't right, and to make it even more confusing if I slightly let the clutch out and labour the engine, it can sometimes return to normal idle.
Now, I've asked a few mates, and I think it's either the clutch, which is also very rumble-y and I suppose worn... Or it's the throttle cable getting stuck. I can't see how it would be the carbs seeing as they've been taken apart and were not dirty and are in balance.
So, denizens of BCF, any suggestions? I'm at a loss here. ____________________ Yamaha SR125; Yamaha XJR 400; Suzuki GS500E
Last edited by Leodbroga on 00:32 - 04 Sep 2012; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rob W |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rob W World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Nov 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Budgetboy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Budgetboy Scooby Slapper

Joined: 05 Apr 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pol Anorl |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Pol Anorl Banned

Joined: 13 Apr 2010 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:06 - 26 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
^ both the above definately sounds like an air leak ____________________ GOOD GAME BODYGUARD: https://i.imgur.com/8WePGgf.jpg
20:30:37 Pyro.: I don't sort of like men, I take every advantage to choke on dick.
Jewlio Iglesias: You live in Liverpool - Chances are, the front door has already been kicked off the hinges |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Leodbroga |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Leodbroga Renault 5 Driver

Joined: 13 Mar 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Leodbroga |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Leodbroga Renault 5 Driver

Joined: 13 Mar 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:31 - 04 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Finally got round to taking the tank off and having a look. I think I've found the culprit:
https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/223995_4537046545631_763409687_n.jpg
Pretty impressed I got the tank off by myself, especially considering a couple months ago a simple oil change scared me. Thanks Rob, Budgetboy and Dumball! Karma heading your way.
I noticed that cylinder 2 wasn't running as hot as the other 3, and checking the spark plug it looked hardly used in comparison. Took me a while to put two and two together but obviously it's been running incredibly lean due to the massive air leak. I'm hoping this will stop my idle creep finally.
Any suggestions where I can source a new vacuum hose? ____________________ Yamaha SR125; Yamaha XJR 400; Suzuki GS500E |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| _Iain_ |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 _Iain_ Banned

Joined: 01 Feb 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:46 - 04 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thats not going to help matters!
Take the hose down to halfords/scrapyard/car parts place and say "i want a bit of pipe like this" and they'll sort you out.
Halfords will ask many questions, all of them irrelevant as 90% of the employees wont have a fucking clue. I genuinely facepalmed as the guy went looking for carb cleaner with all the car waxes and shit.
But basicly, fuel hose - or scrappy, anything thats connected to the intake manifold of the car will work brilliant and is likely to be the same sort of bore.  ____________________ Please be aware that the above post may be full of complete nonsense.
Riding: '07 KTM Duke II, Baotian BT49QT-20 Driving: '88 Volvo 340 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| janner_10 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 janner_10 World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Sep 2011 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:32 - 04 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Measure the OD and ID and look on ebay  ____________________ Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ZaphodBeeble |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ZaphodBeeble World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Feb 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:17 - 04 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
That's possibly just a breather for the float bowls. Unlikely to affect the idle if it is.
It's likely that you have worn throttle valve shafts, I've seen this before on an XJR400. They can allow air in and will make it hard to balance the throttles.
EDIT: I'm going blind I think, I can clearly see the bloody vacuum nipple now. ____________________ Current bike: VTR1000F Firestorm. Previous: Firestorm (written off) - XJ600 Divvy - NSR125 - DT125 and a load of offroaders. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 14 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|