Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Yamaha XJR 400 carburettor issues - Update!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Leodbroga
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:39 - 25 Aug 2012    Post subject: Yamaha XJR 400 carburettor issues - Update! Reply with quote

Hey, got myself my first big bike almost two weeks ago, a Yamaha XJR 400 and guess what? It's giving me jip. Bear with me here, because it's pretty confusing.

When I got the bike, it wouldn't idle properly; either at 2.5K - 3k revs or just below 1k, now this problem has been partially solved by getting the carbs balanced today. It now idles around 1.5k revs, which is perfect.

But my issue is that once warm, the revs get 'stuck' at around 2.5K still, so at lights and junctions it's a nightmare to do a smooth pull away. It may sound trivial but I know it isn't right, and to make it even more confusing if I slightly let the clutch out and labour the engine, it can sometimes return to normal idle.

Now, I've asked a few mates, and I think it's either the clutch, which is also very rumble-y and I suppose worn... Or it's the throttle cable getting stuck. I can't see how it would be the carbs seeing as they've been taken apart and were not dirty and are in balance.

So, denizens of BCF, any suggestions? I'm at a loss here.
____________________
Yamaha SR125; Yamaha XJR 400; Suzuki GS500E


Last edited by Leodbroga on 00:32 - 04 Sep 2012; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:46 - 26 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may well have an air leak somewhere. Were the carb rubbers in good condition?
____________________
'90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Budgetboy
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:08 - 26 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob W wrote:
You may well have an air leak somewhere. Were the carb rubbers in good condition?


This ^^ check the vac hoses and carb rubbers for leaks or damage.
____________________
www.Mailorderrepairs.co.uk We service your Carburetor's, Calipers & Suspension for less Also Bike repairs undertaken.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Leodbroga
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:34 - 26 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob W wrote:
You may well have an air leak somewhere. Were the carb rubbers in good condition?


I took it to a garage so don't have a clue. Probably should have asked I guess!

Where about are these rubbers and hoses? I assume under the tank and connecting to the carburettor?

Thanks for the help, I will try and fix this myself and avoid getting mugged by a garage.
____________________
Yamaha SR125; Yamaha XJR 400; Suzuki GS500E
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Leodbroga
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:31 - 04 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got round to taking the tank off and having a look. I think I've found the culprit:

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/223995_4537046545631_763409687_n.jpg

Pretty impressed I got the tank off by myself, especially considering a couple months ago a simple oil change scared me. Thanks Rob, Budgetboy and Dumball! Karma heading your way. Thumbs Up

I noticed that cylinder 2 wasn't running as hot as the other 3, and checking the spark plug it looked hardly used in comparison. Took me a while to put two and two together but obviously it's been running incredibly lean due to the massive air leak. I'm hoping this will stop my idle creep finally.

Any suggestions where I can source a new vacuum hose?
____________________
Yamaha SR125; Yamaha XJR 400; Suzuki GS500E
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

janner_10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:18 - 04 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the slack - just cut the last inch off. Failing that as Iain said try a breakers, as long as its in good condition and the same ID you can cut to suit, it doesn't have to come from a bike.
____________________
Yamaha FZS600 (Now gone to heaven) > CBR600F4i (SOLD) > '99 YZF-R1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:32 - 04 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure the OD and ID and look on ebay Thumbs Up
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 04 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's possibly just a breather for the float bowls. Unlikely to affect the idle if it is.

It's likely that you have worn throttle valve shafts, I've seen this before on an XJR400. They can allow air in and will make it hard to balance the throttles.

EDIT: I'm going blind I think, I can clearly see the bloody vacuum nipple now.
____________________
Current bike: VTR1000F Firestorm. Previous: Firestorm (written off) - XJ600 Divvy - NSR125 - DT125 and a load of offroaders.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.48 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 68.38 Kb