|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Az |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Az World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Apr 2013 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 01:01 - 11 Mar 2014 Post subject: My mum's getting married… what do I do? |
 |
|
So, my mums been seeing this guy for 2 years, I like him a lot and he's very well suited to my mum and he rides a motorbike, which is always a positive in my eyes (albeit he does ride slow and considered a cruiser at one point, currently rides a pointy SV650S). My mum clearly wears the boots in the relationship and he's a bit of a softy/emotional man.
So… now that they've decided to get married and move in with each other, what do I do?
I'll be living with them for at least a year (don't plan on moving out until i'm 21/22 and have enough for a mortgage of my own) and he has to know that i'll always be the man of the house regardless of if he's older or married to my mum.
Does this also mean that I can't eat my coco pops in my boxers any more downstairs?
Don't get me wrong i'm very happy for them and i've been supportive of their relationship from the beginning (unlike my sister & brother) and we do get a long very well.
Is this where I give a manly talk about how i'll break his face if he upsets my mum ?
Do I just congratulate and carry on as normal?
Do I get all excited and give him a hug and speak about the whole thing and how i'm happy for them (this is what I feel like doing aha)
Buy a congratulations card haha?
Honestly i have no idea how to react, i'm extremely happy for them and I like the guy. But what do I do? Do I have to adapt how i'm going to be like at home, now that we're going to be living together.
Also, anyone who's been in a similar situation to me, how did ur life at home change, if it all that is? Is it weird getting used to seeing another man around the house, i mean i've been used to it just being me and my mum for the last 7/8 years at home and I see my dad on weekends.
TL:DR Mums marrying a man after seeing him for 2 years, we'll be living with each other (me, my mum and William), I get a long with him and will I have to change what i'm like around the house now he's going to be moving in? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Benno |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Benno World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 May 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tungtvann |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tungtvann World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Dec 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Az |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Az World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Apr 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mentalboy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mentalboy World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 May 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clutchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clutchy World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Nov 2011 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 01:46 - 11 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Dunno why you're making a big thing about it, also the man of the house is the one who pays the most of the bills IMO whoever that might be.
All that will happen is eventually your mum will be getting banged less often.
 ____________________ Malaguti F12 Phantom-Dead, Suzuki AY50- Dead, NRG power DD LQ, CBR125.
*33 BHP restriction up on 10/12/14* Current bikes/car: SV 650 S/ MKIV GOLF
Guide to pass your test with no lessons! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kari-On |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Kari-On Banned
Joined: 05 Mar 2014 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Az |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Az World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Apr 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mentalboy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mentalboy World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 May 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clutchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clutchy World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Nov 2011 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| duhawkz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 duhawkz World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Dec 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Az |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Az World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Apr 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mentalboy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mentalboy World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 May 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 02:21 - 11 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
That's twice now Clutchy,
 ____________________ Make mine a Corona. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Benno |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Benno World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 May 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 02:36 - 11 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
| az- wrote: | | Tungtvann wrote: | You mean he hasn't already been around the house a lot? Little changes, stop worrying. |
No… he comes round ours 3-5 times a week and has done for the last 2 years, we go to his every now and again but he lives far and my mum can never be arsed to go, so he comes here mainly and chills.
and Benno, your reply did made me chuckle  |
It wasn't a joke. Well, now that I think about it it isn't.
To you this is some stranger, non family, coming into your home and intruding on the most private physical region of your life. If he starts trying to make you feel awkward, or suggesting or bluntly telling you to do things differently, you damn well make sure he knows it is YOUR home and you do things YOUR way, just like you ALWAYS HAVE DONE.
Christ, I don't think I'd ever be able to tolerate my mother bringing some other man into the house. Even though I don't live with my parents any more (I live with my bipolar aunt ) I'd still be pissed off about a random man in MY house, where I grew up, seeing MY personal life and childhood all laid out before him like an open bloody book. Some stranger, violating my privacy like that, the privacy of my entire childhood. Slightly worse that I am not there because I won't be there to keep him out of it. The most important thing to me, I think to all of us, is the freedom to choose who we open our lives to, who we let in and embrace as part of our family. You are being forced to accept this stranger as family, he has sneaked in through the backdoor to your most intimate and private parts (hehe), and thus he is committing, in my opinion, one of the grosses violations of one's privacy.
God dammit this makes me angry. You can probably tell I don't like letting people in to my life. If you ask me, it is the most fundamental freedom we have - and yours has been violated. It's understandable if you are absolutely furious, I think you get the idea that I would be!
I don't think my advice is going to be the most productive, so take it with a pinch of salt and follow the others' advice. The best approach is the most pragmatic - if he is an obstinate bastard and your mother still accepts and loves him, there is little you can do unfortunately and you will have to accept that you are being f*cked over. ____________________ I'm autistic. That means I'm smarter than you. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bamt |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bamt World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Dec 2013 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| krarkol |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 krarkol World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Oct 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 07:52 - 11 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
My mums had a boyfriend over the last few years and they are pretty much on and off. But their problems are their problems. The only time I'd intervene is if any domestic abuse took place which is very unlikely anyway from the impressions I get of the guy.
I act like a guest at their house, except with a few more privileges. I'll treat it with respect but I'll still help myself to the fridge etc
I'm passive with anything they do really, if they announced they are getting married I would probably congratulate them but I wouldn't make a big deal of it and I wouldn't act any different. You don't need to either
Edit: I do however live with my dad so I'm more of a visitor at my mums. I do agree with Benno however. If my thing was sitting in my boxers eating cocoa pops and someone my mum was with told me to stop doing it, I'd refuse. If your mum is decent enough, she should take your side. No woman should choose a random mans side over her kids ____________________ Bandit 600 - deaded |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Polarbear |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Polarbear Super Spammer

Joined: 24 Feb 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nowhere.elysium |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nowhere.elysium The Pork Lord

Joined: 02 Mar 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 09:10 - 11 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
You're living under their roof. Short answer, grow up, and acknowledge the fact that it's their place, and not yours.
Contributing towards bills is only part of the job of paying your own way: if they're buying outright, you've got precisely sod all claim, and the fact that you're even considering trying make any mark of authority on proceedings paints you out as a petulant and overindulged child.
Your mother won't abandon you, but you should never exploit that at her expense. Equally, there's little point in the whole 'upset her and I'll damage you' talk: it'll come out by itself if she becomes unhappy. ____________________ '10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Disapproving Brit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Disapproving Brit World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Sep 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 09:13 - 11 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
You need to get out of this mindset that he's moving in with you and your mum, because that's not what's happening. Your mum and her husband are buying a new home together, and they are allowing you to move in with them. You are no longer the man of the house. If you find that situation unacceptable, get your own place.
That said, you say you get along with this bloke. That's good. Just carry on as normal, respect their space, and contribute where you can. There's no reason for this to be a big deal unless you make it into one, but if you make yourself a pain in the arse, he has every right to kick you out on your arse. That's why he is now the man of the house, not you. ____________________ Current Bikes: 1983 Honda VF400FD / 2003 Honda VT750 Shadow
Bike Test Passed 18/03/09, Car Test Passed 14/05/13 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pinkyfloyd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pinkyfloyd Super Spammer

Joined: 20 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| DrDonnyBrago |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 DrDonnyBrago World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jan 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 09:42 - 11 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Man "child" of the house .
ATM, your mum's house, her rules, don't like it then move out.
When he owns half the house, are you really thinking you'll be telling him what to do? Their house, their rules, don't like it then move out. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| panrider_uk |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 panrider_uk World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Sep 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| DrSnoosnoo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 DrSnoosnoo World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Mar 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:07 - 11 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
I can half understand where you're coming from but at 19, you're not the man of the house, instead your mum is both the woman AND man of the house.
I lived at home til I went to uni at 18 and never went back. Obviously I visited at the weekends etc etc and she had a long term BF who came over and I saw a lot of when growing up n shit. When they moved in together it was very much their house, I had no say. They let me stay there rent free when there were longer gaps in the terms because of placements, jobs etc. And I asked if I could take from the fridge but obviously could shower and go to my own room of my own accord.
As this man is marrying your mother, he will be taking on the same responsibities as her, that includes looking after you while YOU live with THEM. Be polite, if anything pisses either of you off, because you are set in your habits, you will have to talk like adults about it but ultimately what his opinion should take precedent.
Right now you're not a child but because you are your mother's son living at home, you're a child. Behave and do what you're told. "My house, my rules" and all that. ____________________ I'm Sam; Northern, Ginger, Lover
Did have: '95 ZZR600 '83 CG125 '97 ZZR1100 '15 Hypermotard 821 SP Do Have: '10 ZX10R |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| wr6133 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 wr6133 World Chat Champion
Joined: 31 Dec 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 12 years, 204 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|