Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


My mum's getting married… what do I do?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Az
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:01 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: My mum's getting married… what do I do? Reply with quote

So, my mums been seeing this guy for 2 years, I like him a lot and he's very well suited to my mum and he rides a motorbike, which is always a positive in my eyes (albeit he does ride slow and considered a cruiser at one point, currently rides a pointy SV650S). My mum clearly wears the boots in the relationship and he's a bit of a softy/emotional man.

So… now that they've decided to get married and move in with each other, what do I do?

I'll be living with them for at least a year (don't plan on moving out until i'm 21/22 and have enough for a mortgage of my own) and he has to know that i'll always be the man of the house regardless of if he's older or married to my mum.

Does this also mean that I can't eat my coco pops in my boxers any more downstairs?

Don't get me wrong i'm very happy for them and i've been supportive of their relationship from the beginning (unlike my sister & brother) and we do get a long very well.


Is this where I give a manly talk about how i'll break his face if he upsets my mum Shocked ?

Do I just congratulate and carry on as normal?

Do I get all excited and give him a hug and speak about the whole thing and how i'm happy for them (this is what I feel like doing aha)

Buy a congratulations card haha?

Honestly i have no idea how to react, i'm extremely happy for them and I like the guy. But what do I do? Do I have to adapt how i'm going to be like at home, now that we're going to be living together.

Also, anyone who's been in a similar situation to me, how did ur life at home change, if it all that is? Is it weird getting used to seeing another man around the house, i mean i've been used to it just being me and my mum for the last 7/8 years at home and I see my dad on weekends.

TL:DR Mums marrying a man after seeing him for 2 years, we'll be living with each other (me, my mum and William), I get a long with him and will I have to change what i'm like around the house now he's going to be moving in?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Benno
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:08 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walk around naked

If he complains say "Welcome to MY home"
____________________
I'm autistic. That means I'm smarter than you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:31 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean he hasn't already been around the house a lot? Little changes, stop worrying.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Az
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:35 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungtvann wrote:
You mean he hasn't already been around the house a lot? Little changes, stop worrying.


No… he comes round ours 3-5 times a week and has done for the last 2 years, we go to his every now and again but he lives far and my mum can never be arsed to go, so he comes here mainly and chills.

and Benno, your reply did made me chuckle Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:46 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Re: My mum's getting married… what do I do? Reply with quote

az- wrote:

he has to know that i'll always be the man of the house regardless of if he's older or married to my mum.



Really???
I take it you pay the rent/mortgage then? I'd be telling her to move in with him if that's the case.

What's that you say? It's not your house? Oh dear, maybe mum won't be moving out then! I suppose you'll just have to get used to another man wandering around the house in his boxers.
____________________
Make mine a Corona.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clutchy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:46 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno why you're making a big thing about it, also the man of the house is the one who pays the most of the bills IMO whoever that might be.


All that will happen is eventually your mum will be getting banged less often.
Thumbs Up
____________________
Malaguti F12 Phantom-Dead, Suzuki AY50- Dead, NRG power DD LQ, CBR125.
*33 BHP restriction up on 10/12/14* Current bikes/car: SV 650 S/ MKIV GOLF
Guide to pass your test with no lessons!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Kari-On This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Az
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:56 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Re: My mum's getting married… what do I do? Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
az- wrote:

he has to know that i'll always be the man of the house regardless of if he's older or married to my mum.



Really???
I take it you pay the rent/mortgage then? I'd be telling her to move in with him if that's the case.

What's that you say? It's not your house? Oh dear, maybe mum won't be moving out then! I suppose you'll just have to get used to another man wandering around the house in his boxers.


I just don't want someone else butting in and making all the decisions all of sudden. Even though i'm only 19, I have large influence on what happens in the house at the moment and don't really want that to change.

As for the house, mum will be selling her house, he's selling his and they plan on buying a new house together… to which i will be contributing towards the bills but as the new house will have no mortgage, they won't have any major outgo towards it anyway, which means i'll probably be putting in the same as them towards bills and groceries.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:00 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put in 100% of the domestic bills/groceries, etc but unless your name's on the deeds you should expect to suck up to the owners, whether you like it or not. Sorry but it's a dog eat dog world out there.
____________________
Make mine a Corona.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clutchy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:01 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Re: My mum's getting married… what do I do? Reply with quote

az- wrote:

As for the house, mum will be selling her house, he's selling his and they plan on buying a new house together… to which i will be contributing towards the bills but as it the new house will have no mortgage they won't have any major outgo towards it anyway which means i'll probably be putting in the same as them towards bills and groceries.


Take this in the nicest way possible.


I think you need to grow up a little bit. How you've managed to come up with ''I'll probably be putting the same as them towards bills''.

Mate, they've just bought a house outright.

The fact that you're over 18 and living in their house is fine, but remember that is a privilege, by all means I hope you get on together but this pretence you have about you still making the decisions around the house is comical.

It's something a kid would say.
____________________
Malaguti F12 Phantom-Dead, Suzuki AY50- Dead, NRG power DD LQ, CBR125.
*33 BHP restriction up on 10/12/14* Current bikes/car: SV 650 S/ MKIV GOLF
Guide to pass your test with no lessons!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:08 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think you need to grow up a little bit


this Thumbs Up
____________________
"The guy is a worthless cunt and I honestly believe I would be a slightly happier person if he died." - Chris-Red
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Az
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:10 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Re: My mum's getting married… what do I do? Reply with quote

Clutchy wrote:
az- wrote:

As for the house, mum will be selling her house, he's selling his and they plan on buying a new house together… to which i will be contributing towards the bills but as it the new house will have no mortgage they won't have any major outgo towards it anyway which means i'll probably be putting in the same as them towards bills and groceries.


Take this in the nicest way possible.


I think you need to grow up a little bit. How you've managed to come up with ''I'll probably be putting the same as them towards bills''.

Mate, they've just bought a house outright.

The fact that you're over 18 and living in their house is fine, but remember that is a privilege, by all means I hope you get on together but this pretence you have about you still making the decisions around the house is comical.

It's something a kid would say.


It's a good point your making, maybe I am approaching the situation with a bit of a childish attitude.

Although I get along with him a lot, i'm very comfortable with the arrangement we currently have but would never want to hold my mum back in any way… it's a big life change having to live with someone else for the next 2years and i almost don't want to lose that comfort of being at home with just me and my mum because someone else is going to be living with us now, if that makes sense? Maybe I am just over thinking this all Embarassed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:21 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's twice now Clutchy,
Wink
____________________
Make mine a Corona.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Benno
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:36 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

az- wrote:
Tungtvann wrote:
You mean he hasn't already been around the house a lot? Little changes, stop worrying.


No… he comes round ours 3-5 times a week and has done for the last 2 years, we go to his every now and again but he lives far and my mum can never be arsed to go, so he comes here mainly and chills.

and Benno, your reply did made me chuckle Laughing


It wasn't a joke. Well, now that I think about it it isn't.

To you this is some stranger, non family, coming into your home and intruding on the most private physical region of your life. If he starts trying to make you feel awkward, or suggesting or bluntly telling you to do things differently, you damn well make sure he knows it is YOUR home and you do things YOUR way, just like you ALWAYS HAVE DONE.

Christ, I don't think I'd ever be able to tolerate my mother bringing some other man into the house. Even though I don't live with my parents any more (I live with my bipolar aunt Embarassed) I'd still be pissed off about a random man in MY house, where I grew up, seeing MY personal life and childhood all laid out before him like an open bloody book. Some stranger, violating my privacy like that, the privacy of my entire childhood. Slightly worse that I am not there because I won't be there to keep him out of it. The most important thing to me, I think to all of us, is the freedom to choose who we open our lives to, who we let in and embrace as part of our family. You are being forced to accept this stranger as family, he has sneaked in through the backdoor to your most intimate and private parts (hehe), and thus he is committing, in my opinion, one of the grosses violations of one's privacy.


God dammit this makes me angry. You can probably tell I don't like letting people in to my life. If you ask me, it is the most fundamental freedom we have - and yours has been violated. It's understandable if you are absolutely furious, I think you get the idea that I would be!

I don't think my advice is going to be the most productive, so take it with a pinch of salt and follow the others' advice. The best approach is the most pragmatic - if he is an obstinate bastard and your mother still accepts and loves him, there is little you can do unfortunately and you will have to accept that you are being f*cked over.
____________________
I'm autistic. That means I'm smarter than you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bamt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:47 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Re: My mum's getting married… what do I do? Reply with quote

az- wrote:

Do I get all excited and give him a hug and speak about the whole thing and how i'm happy for them (this is what I feel like doing aha)


This. Seriously.
If he's a decent bloke, he's going to be nervous about the change too, and knowing that you are welcoming him into your life too will help smooth things along. You are all adults, hopefully he really will be wonderful for your mum and be with her permanently, whilst you'll be on your way in a few years.

It could be worth having a chat along the lines of "we're obviously a bit set in our ways, so things could get a bit awkward or we may each other with habits, but I want this to work and I'm sure we'll sort out any minor stuff as we go along".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

krarkol
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:52 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mums had a boyfriend over the last few years and they are pretty much on and off. But their problems are their problems. The only time I'd intervene is if any domestic abuse took place which is very unlikely anyway from the impressions I get of the guy.

I act like a guest at their house, except with a few more privileges. I'll treat it with respect but I'll still help myself to the fridge etc Laughing

I'm passive with anything they do really, if they announced they are getting married I would probably congratulate them but I wouldn't make a big deal of it and I wouldn't act any different. You don't need to either Wink

Edit: I do however live with my dad so I'm more of a visitor at my mums. I do agree with Benno however. If my thing was sitting in my boxers eating cocoa pops and someone my mum was with told me to stop doing it, I'd refuse. If your mum is decent enough, she should take your side. No woman should choose a random mans side over her kids
____________________
Bandit 600 - deaded
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:48 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like it and don't get on, guess who's going to have to move out.

Hint - It isn't your Mum or her husband.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:10 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're living under their roof. Short answer, grow up, and acknowledge the fact that it's their place, and not yours.

Contributing towards bills is only part of the job of paying your own way: if they're buying outright, you've got precisely sod all claim, and the fact that you're even considering trying make any mark of authority on proceedings paints you out as a petulant and overindulged child.

Your mother won't abandon you, but you should never exploit that at her expense. Equally, there's little point in the whole 'upset her and I'll damage you' talk: it'll come out by itself if she becomes unhappy.
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Disapproving Brit
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:13 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get out of this mindset that he's moving in with you and your mum, because that's not what's happening. Your mum and her husband are buying a new home together, and they are allowing you to move in with them. You are no longer the man of the house. If you find that situation unacceptable, get your own place.

That said, you say you get along with this bloke. That's good. Just carry on as normal, respect their space, and contribute where you can. There's no reason for this to be a big deal unless you make it into one, but if you make yourself a pain in the arse, he has every right to kick you out on your arse. That's why he is now the man of the house, not you.
____________________
Current Bikes: 1983 Honda VF400FD / 2003 Honda VT750 Shadow
Bike Test Passed 18/03/09, Car Test Passed 14/05/13
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:17 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's starting to become a worrying trend. I am agreeing with Clutchy again.

I dont like this weird feeling!

On a serious note though. As much as you say you get on with him etc and happy all I can read into that is spoilt brat saying someone is coming to take mummy away.

The fact that they are now looking to sell both of their houses and move into a new house screams they they both want a fresh start together and you really should read that as "together alone just the 2 of them." As much as your mother says she wants you to move in with them the truth of the matter is probably closer to "I wont see you homeless" more than "come live with us."

Personally I think you should, if you are happy for them etc, consider moving out and setting up on your own so they can enjoy their new house and marriage without having to tiptoe around the house with you in it.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:42 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man "child" of the house Rolling Eyes .

ATM, your mum's house, her rules, don't like it then move out.

When he owns half the house, are you really thinking you'll be telling him what to do? Their house, their rules, don't like it then move out.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:57 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Re: My mum's getting married… what do I do? Reply with quote

az- wrote:
Do I have to adapt how i'm going to be like at home

Yes.

You're a child until you move out. Deal.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:15 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

krarkol wrote:


I act like a guest at their house, except with a few more privileges.


This is pretty much how it'll be.
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:07 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can half understand where you're coming from but at 19, you're not the man of the house, instead your mum is both the woman AND man of the house.

I lived at home til I went to uni at 18 and never went back. Obviously I visited at the weekends etc etc and she had a long term BF who came over and I saw a lot of when growing up n shit. When they moved in together it was very much their house, I had no say. They let me stay there rent free when there were longer gaps in the terms because of placements, jobs etc. And I asked if I could take from the fridge but obviously could shower and go to my own room of my own accord.

As this man is marrying your mother, he will be taking on the same responsibities as her, that includes looking after you while YOU live with THEM. Be polite, if anything pisses either of you off, because you are set in your habits, you will have to talk like adults about it but ultimately what his opinion should take precedent.

Right now you're not a child but because you are your mother's son living at home, you're a child. Behave and do what you're told. "My house, my rules" and all that.
____________________
I'm Sam; Northern, Ginger, Lover
Did have: '95 ZZR600 '83 CG125 '97 ZZR1100 '15 Hypermotard 821 SP Do Have: '10 ZX10R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:08 - 11 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not the "man" of the house now.

Sorry to sound a cunt but you appear as a spoiled over indulged child this thread shows it. You want to be a man move out and stand on your own 2 feet, waiting a few years so you can move out and get a mortgage sounds a poor excuse that I translate as "living cheap here means I can have lots of disposable cash and my washing is done and meals cooked".

I also think Pink Floyd is right, them selling up and buying a house is them making a start together, your mum won't see you homeless but you are probably actually about as welcome as a fart in a space suit. Also leaves you about as much space for claiming to be a man let alone the man of the house as Hitler has for being a righteous gentile.

TLDR - Man the Fuck Up and stand on your 2 feet rather than hiding behind apron strings
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 204 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.64 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 138.98 Kb