|
|
| Author |
Message |
| rebeltaz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rebeltaz Renault 5 Driver

Joined: 02 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:33 - 22 Mar 2014 Post subject: 454ltd / en450 lack of power - timing chain repalcement? |
 |
|
Guys, I have an 86 Kawasaki EN450/454LTD that has lost power on the upper end. It still has get up and go, but I can only get 65-70 mph at full throttle in top gear on a flat straight away. I have rebuilt the carbs twice and replaced the spark plugs.
I do know that I had to replace the cam chain tensioner last year and when I did, I thought the cam chain felt a little loose. I am going to check the valves, the cam chain and timing this week, but I wanted to see - first, if anyone had any other ideas - and second, the entire crankcase has to be split to replace a timing chain on this bike, doesn't it? That is a very bad design, if you ask me, from a mechanics point of view.
Thanks. ____________________ Derek Tombrello
www.ShelbyCycle.com (for profit)
www.RobotsAndComputers.com (just for fun) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yen_powell |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yen_powell World Chat Champion

Joined: 22 Jun 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:44 - 22 Mar 2014 Post subject: Re: 454ltd / en450 lack of power - timing chain repalcement? |
 |
|
| rebeltaz wrote: | Guys, I have an 86 Kawasaki EN450/454LTD that has lost power on the upper end. It still has get up and go, but I can only get 65-70 mph at full throttle in top gear on a flat straight away. I have rebuilt the carbs twice and replaced the spark plugs.
I do know that I had to replace the cam chain tensioner last year and when I did, I thought the cam chain felt a little loose. I am going to check the valves, the cam chain and timing this week, but I wanted to see - first, if anyone had any other ideas - and second, the entire crankcase has to be split to replace a timing chain on this bike, doesn't it? That is a very bad design, if you ask me, from a mechanics point of view.
Thanks. | You can fit a split cam chain, using the old one to pull the new one through, then rivet it up. ____________________ Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| rebeltaz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rebeltaz Renault 5 Driver

Joined: 02 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:01 - 22 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Where would I find a split chain? All I can find is the factory original single piece. Thanks. ____________________ Derek Tombrello
www.ShelbyCycle.com (for profit)
www.RobotsAndComputers.com (just for fun) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yen_powell |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yen_powell World Chat Champion

Joined: 22 Jun 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| temeluchus |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 temeluchus World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| rebeltaz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rebeltaz Renault 5 Driver

Joined: 02 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:43 - 22 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
lol... Europe is a bit of a road trip for me. I'm in the Southern United States. ____________________ Derek Tombrello
www.ShelbyCycle.com (for profit)
www.RobotsAndComputers.com (just for fun) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| rebeltaz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rebeltaz Renault 5 Driver

Joined: 02 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| temeluchus |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 temeluchus World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| rebeltaz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rebeltaz Renault 5 Driver

Joined: 02 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 12 years, 203 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|