Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


454ltd / en450 lack of power - timing chain repalcement?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

rebeltaz
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:33 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: 454ltd / en450 lack of power - timing chain repalcement? Reply with quote

Guys, I have an 86 Kawasaki EN450/454LTD that has lost power on the upper end. It still has get up and go, but I can only get 65-70 mph at full throttle in top gear on a flat straight away. I have rebuilt the carbs twice and replaced the spark plugs.

I do know that I had to replace the cam chain tensioner last year and when I did, I thought the cam chain felt a little loose. I am going to check the valves, the cam chain and timing this week, but I wanted to see - first, if anyone had any other ideas - and second, the entire crankcase has to be split to replace a timing chain on this bike, doesn't it? That is a very bad design, if you ask me, from a mechanics point of view.

Thanks.
____________________
Derek Tombrello
www.ShelbyCycle.com (for profit)
www.RobotsAndComputers.com (just for fun)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:44 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Re: 454ltd / en450 lack of power - timing chain repalcement? Reply with quote

rebeltaz wrote:
Guys, I have an 86 Kawasaki EN450/454LTD that has lost power on the upper end. It still has get up and go, but I can only get 65-70 mph at full throttle in top gear on a flat straight away. I have rebuilt the carbs twice and replaced the spark plugs.

I do know that I had to replace the cam chain tensioner last year and when I did, I thought the cam chain felt a little loose. I am going to check the valves, the cam chain and timing this week, but I wanted to see - first, if anyone had any other ideas - and second, the entire crankcase has to be split to replace a timing chain on this bike, doesn't it? That is a very bad design, if you ask me, from a mechanics point of view.

Thanks.
You can fit a split cam chain, using the old one to pull the new one through, then rivet it up.
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rebeltaz
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:01 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would I find a split chain? All I can find is the factory original single piece. Thanks.
____________________
Derek Tombrello
www.ShelbyCycle.com (for profit)
www.RobotsAndComputers.com (just for fun)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:28 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebeltaz wrote:
Where would I find a split chain? All I can find is the factory original single piece. Thanks.

https://www.galeacamchainservices.co.uk/
Go see Tony.
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:40 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

before you take the drastic step of replacing the camchain,

check the diaphragms on the carbs, if they are split, the bike will run ok, but effectively it does not allow the throttle to open fully.
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rebeltaz
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:43 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
rebeltaz wrote:
Where would I find a split chain? All I can find is the factory original single piece. Thanks.

https://www.galeacamchainservices.co.uk/
Go see Tony.


lol... Europe is a bit of a road trip for me. I'm in the Southern United States.
____________________
Derek Tombrello
www.ShelbyCycle.com (for profit)
www.RobotsAndComputers.com (just for fun)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rebeltaz
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:50 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
before you take the drastic step of replacing the camchain,

check the diaphragms on the carbs, if they are split, the bike will run ok, but effectively it does not allow the throttle to open fully.


I called myself checking them when I took them apart the last two times, but I am going to given them one more look before shooting it... I mean going deeper Smile
____________________
Derek Tombrello
www.ShelbyCycle.com (for profit)
www.RobotsAndComputers.com (just for fun)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:52 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Official way to replace the cam chain is to split the crankcases (primary chain is also a pain to replace). But a rivet link cam chain should be available.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:12 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility-

Could also possibly be the ignition not advancing? Do you have a spare ignitor?
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rebeltaz
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:16 - 23 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
Another possibility-

Could also possibly be the ignition not advancing? Do you have a spare ignitor?


I don't, no... I could try to get one, I suppose.
____________________
Derek Tombrello
www.ShelbyCycle.com (for profit)
www.RobotsAndComputers.com (just for fun)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 203 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 2.81 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 70.35 Kb