Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Something's missing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

mikesaa309
Traffic Copper



Joined: 10 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:22 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Something's missing Reply with quote

When I was stuck on a 125 for two years being overtaken by car (even shitty ones) I used to get pissed off that I was stuck on a puny 125. Then I learnt to except it and realized that if it's on a single carriageway cars don't get far until they're stuck in traffic then I can just filter past them and I don't see them again.

Now that I'm finally on a bigger bike (granted it's only a Bandit 600) I can't help feel that something's missing. Not sure what it is but it doesn't feel the same as when I rode the 125. Don't get me wrong it's amazing being able to overtake cars even up hills, not have to worry about wind slowing me down and not loosing speed going up a hill. But for some reason I don't feel it's as enjoyable as my 125.

Maybe it's because I'm used to the 125, all the miles I've done on it, it just seems weird not riding it. Maybe it's because it still doesn't feel legal to ride a bigger bike or maybe it's because I'm more concerned about petrol as 10 quid in the CBF got me 200 miles at least, Bandit 10 quid only gets me 80 - 100 miles depending on how I ride it.

Also thought maybe the fun part of it all was wanting to be able to overtake cars easily but now overtaking cars is just a bit too easy and takes the fun out of it I guess.

Has anyone else felt anything similar with their bikes and what makes a bike fun for you?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:32 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/M1FWqqp.gif

https://i.imgur.com/T7sUktp.gif
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mikesaa309
Traffic Copper



Joined: 10 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:41 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/M1FWqqp.gif

https://i.imgur.com/T7sUktp.gif


https://s15.postimg.org/x9xd3o0zf/medal.jpg

MC wrote:
You bought a f**king Bandit, of course something's missing


I was waiting for someone to mention that Razz

Tbf I think any bike I got I would feel the same way about it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Re: Something's missing Reply with quote

mikesaa309 wrote:
Now that I'm finally on a bigger bike (granted it's only a Bandit 600) I can't help feel that something's missing. Not sure what it is


What is missing is a point to this thread.
____________________
Quietly and consistently taking the piss.
TL1000R | Hayabusa | ZXR400 | TL1000S | Bandit 400 V
Fatter and faster than Fret
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:06 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Re: Something's missing Reply with quote

Wheelies.

That's what's missing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:21 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.quickmeme.com/img/1b/1b3b43c9ee85c3f17aa7f9dc47c5a90e234de792cb856995d37f804ea29afd04.jpg
____________________
Current: Honda City Fly CLR125 2003 Honda CB600F Hornet 2008 Yamaha FZ6 S2 + 1991 Kawasaki GPZ500
"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Re: Something's missing Reply with quote

[quote="mikesaa309"/] I was stuck on a 125 for two years. Now on a a Bandit 600, I can't help feel that something's missing. . But for some reason I don't feel it's as enjoyable as my 125.
now overtaking cars is just a bit too easy and takes the fun out of it I guess. [quote/]

Nowt wrong with riding a lesser powered bike , if that`s what floats your boat.
I also find that riding a bigger more powerful bike a bit to easy at times.
I dont mean that I am some sort of super-rider , just that some journeys just dont need any effort on a bigger bike.
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Major Doss
Traffic Copper



Joined: 09 Jan 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:35 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

01/05/14 dull thread

(6 days of epic Sprocket fun fun fun)

07/05/14 dull thread

08/05/14 dull thread

Please go and have some fun again. Thumbs Up
____________________
Antisocial phucker.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baffler186
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:56 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people bond with certain bikes better than others. What is missing is that you haven't found the right bike for you. When you get the restrictors off you might feel different, or might not.
____________________
Current: 2009 SV650 S, 1990 Kawasaki GT550
Previous: 2009 CBF125, 1998 GSF600, 2004 FZ6 Fazer, 1978 CB400a Hondamatic
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:59 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I be posting in an Aspie thread but...

My GS is an extremely capable bike that does everything that I need very competently indeed, and I'm glad that I have it.

But I still prefer riding the slow, vibey, temperamental Enfield, because lulz.

If your bike isn't putting a grin on your face, change or supplement it.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Fisty
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:20 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC wrote:
you might be normal after all Smile


Not. A. Chance.
____________________
Quietly and consistently taking the piss.
TL1000R | Hayabusa | ZXR400 | TL1000S | Bandit 400 V
Fatter and faster than Fret
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:57 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
...If your bike isn't putting a grin on your face, change or supplement it.

I understand that works with partners too Thumbs Up
Basically, from either you need a good ride.
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Conzar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:01 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Re: Something's missing Reply with quote

G wrote:
Wheelies.

That's what's missing.


*Power Wheelies
____________________
Current ride: ZX6R 636 ------- Previous:KTM EXC 450 Supermoto --- ZX6R B1H --Hornet 600--CBR 600--SV650
11:05:35 Rob Fzs: i just wanna own an rd350 valve before they send us to war with durkadurkastan
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

deadwolf
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:01 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try sabotaging your bike to the point where it once again feels challenging/fun to ride.

I suggest fitting bald tyres, maybe chop a few bits off the front brake disc and drill some holes in the frame to lighten it up to 125cc chuckability levels.
____________________
Motorsapien Art
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Clutchy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:18 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMFG BAN HIIIIIIIMMMMM


https://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/kill_it_with_fire.gif
____________________
Malaguti F12 Phantom-Dead, Suzuki AY50- Dead, NRG power DD LQ, CBR125.
*33 BHP restriction up on 10/12/14* Current bikes/car: SV 650 S/ MKIV GOLF
Guide to pass your test with no lessons!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:21 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Re: Something's missing Reply with quote

Conzar wrote:
G wrote:
Wheelies.

That's what's missing.


*Power Wheelies


Bandit 600

https://www.stephanemanet.com/wp-content/uploads/wtf.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fladdem
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:39 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. I went from my MT5 to a varadero 125, I missed the moped. When I passed my test I got straight back on the moped again. Although 6 months later, I was bored again so got my 250 which is lovely, I have had her just over a year now.
____________________
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Az
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:42 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You getting 80-100 miles from £10 kind of sums it up. What do u get like, 6-7litres of petrol for a tenner.

So let's do the maths (roughly)

90miles from 6.5litres = 62mpg.

62mpg from a Bandit 600 = You're not riding fast enough to have fun.

How you're even getting 62mpg amazes me, I can't get more than 50mpg when I try to keep my fuel consumption down.

One of the funnest parts of owning a big bike (when your new to big bikes anyway and even when they're restricted) is that ridiculously large smile you get when you open the throttle and you go at what feels warp speeds, when realisticly you're barely into triple figures lol.

If fast isn't your thing, (I've just gone ahead and assumed it is) then maybe you need to think about what you enjoy about riding was is it that makes you smile when you ride? Is it agility, looks, sound, the image etc' and pick a bike that suits you if the bandit isn't cutting it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

unluckyluke
Nova Slayer



Joined: 01 Jul 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:47 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the answer is rose tinted spectacles. You remember it being so much more fun, but I reckon ten minutes on your old cbf and you'll be wondering how you ever rode the bloody thing!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:49 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think that for a bike to be more fun than my KMX125 it would need to be something along the lines of a TDR250, or possibly a YZF450 etc?

I do tend to agree that Light is right when it comes to fun generally!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:51 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh nothing wrong with this thread stop being fags.

I think weight is right. The XJ600 was a nice increase in speed but the thing weighs far too much. Overweight and underpowered = gay bike experience
____________________
Fzr-600 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:06 - 08 May 2014    Post subject: Re: Something's missing Reply with quote

tl;dr Give it time, find what the bike is good at and whether those characteristics are what you want.

mikesaa309 wrote:

Maybe it's because I'm used to the 125, all the miles I've done on it, it just seems weird not riding it.


My best guess is this, you already have the answer.

I did 7 years on CBT's, predominantly down to laziness and the rest down to cost. So like you, learnt to accept the 125's failings and enjoy the things it does well.

250 miles on a 125 and it feels like an adventure, you have to plan routes to avoid boring (fast) roads. You have to constantly plan ahead, to maintain speed, to nail cars that are just fast enough to beyond a clean overtake but slow enough to frustrate through the twisties. And at the end of the day, that 250 mile "adventure" cost £7.

The 125 is an "honest" bike, single cylinder, air-cooled, no ABS or traction control etc, single disc. A little TLC and it's utterly reliable. An old friend.

On the right road, on the right day. It's perfect, just you, your bike and the road. Weightless and nimble, you float between the bends.

You spent time with the bike, looking for it's good points and found them. Your new bike also has good points, you may not have found them all yet.

Yes you don't have to plan every overtake to happen at a particular point in the road. You don't have to worry about being in 5th or 4th at a particular point on a hill. You can become lazy with your riding, a bigger bike will allow for it. But don't. Get back to the skill of it, doing the right thing at the right time, smoother, faster etc

Find the good points of the bike and decide if they are keepers. Your new bike might be great at crunching miles and seeing places much further afield. But maybe you prefer the lightweight side of 125's and need to look at something <200kg

If my Striple remains reliable, I have no doubt I will love it more than my AJS. The Striple can crunch the miles (albeit a bit windy at >80mph), but it's such a giggle on A and B roads. Not quite weightless, but incredibly nimble and quick to change direction. I've had some fantastic "adventures" and rides that will stick with me.

After 8 hours in the seat, I still come home via "that route" which I used to do on the 125. On both bikes, after long days (for me) riding 250 miles I'd still come the long way home to hit the last 4 miles of twisty b-roads to get that last fix of the day. On machines that I didn't click with, I'd be looking for the shortest drive/ride home.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 151 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.17 Sec - Server Load: 0.77 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 133.45 Kb