Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Why don't after market huggers fit?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:38 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Why don't after market huggers fit? Reply with quote

I now have a skidmarx and a pyramid rear hugger for my fairly standard ZZR600

I spent sunday afternoon attempting to fit the skidmarx one but it wouldn't fit without rubbing the rear wheel quite badly.

I've spent this evening trying to fit the pyramid one, but again, this one rubs the rear wheel too.


how fucking hard is it to make a fucking piece of bloody plastic fit a bike that's been around for more than two bloody decades?

What do they do, have a look under a bike at a show and try to make the fucking thing from memory?

All I want is something to protect my shock from crap being flung at it, doesn't have to be fancy, doesn't have to be swish, just needs to fucking fit the bloody bike and do it's bloody job.


If you're wondering why not stick with the factory fitted one it got damaged by someone ramming me at a set of traffic lights.
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:39 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got the correct size tyre fitted? I had a Pyramid one on my ZZR and it fitted fine.
____________________
Quietly and consistently taking the piss.
TL1000R | Hayabusa | ZXR400 | TL1000S | Bandit 400 V
Fatter and faster than Fret
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:44 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tyre on there is the one that was on when I bought it, I'm presuming it to be the correct size for the bike.

Just been and checked, 160, 60, 17
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, thats the right size.
____________________
Quietly and consistently taking the piss.
TL1000R | Hayabusa | ZXR400 | TL1000S | Bandit 400 V
Fatter and faster than Fret
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:01 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird never had an issue and have aftermarketsbon both bikes.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:21 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potentially it might be that your bike isn't stock. Bikes can come with all sorts of hidden histories. Laughing

My CBR6 for instance, swing arm came off a F4i (meaning it was 20mm longer).

The forks came off a F4i (pre 2004) as well.

While the rear brake caliper turned out to be from a CBR600RR.

The shock was also off something else too as when I put the swing arm on it didn't quite fit and had an additional thing welded on.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:33 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be that something's a bit pissed from the accident, causing the hugger to mount skew whiff.
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:38 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Pyramid rear hugger on the Hornet and it won't quite fit if there is a new (unstretched) chain AND a new tyre.

Too much tread + the wheel too far forwards = rubbing.

After a few hundred miles, retensioned the chain and the slightest fraction of mm of worn tyre and there was just about enough room. Although when the hot tyre picked up small stones you could hear them scrape the hugger still.

A thousand or so miles later theres plenty of space now.


Might just be the way.
____________________
Current Bike: 1999 Honda CB600 FX Hornet
Next Bike: I want a CBR-RR. And I want an F800 GS-A. And a VFR 800. Can I have all 3?
Dream Bikes: Honda VFR750R RC30, Honda NSR500, Ducati 996 R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:23 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately that's not the case, the chain has a few thousand miles on it, the tyre even more so.

If I were to file the mounting holes for the hugger and mount it slightly higher / slightly forwards there shouldn't be any issues provided it's tight?

If your tyre rubs when you've got a new one and new chain on, do you just go with it and let the tyre wear the hugger away for a bit?
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:40 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a powerbronze one on my Explorer, that fits fine and I can't say I've ever had any problems with other aftermarket stuff.

I would think Powerbronze, Skidmarx and Pyramid are pretty careful to do their research & get things right for each bike. If they started turning out ill fitting gear it would get round pretty quickly.

I'm with Itchy on this one, is something not standard on your bike?
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:45 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds silly but..... are you sure it's for your ZZR? The models changed over the years and parts for say a D may not fit an E... etc
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:02 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything appears to be standard, the only modifications I know of are removal of the clean air system and fitting fireblade calipers to the front

the skidmarx is about 5mm out from fitting but rubs, have arranged to return it but might have another go at fitting
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:06 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Could be that something's a bit pissed from the accident, causing the hugger to mount skew whiff.


I am going with this, something ever so minutely out of line to the eye can make a world of difference to other parts.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Peirre oBollox
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:14 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Llama-Farmer wrote:
I've got a Pyramid rear hugger on the Hornet and it won't quite fit if there is a new (unstretched) chain AND a new tyre.

Too much tread + the wheel too far forwards = rubbing.

After a few hundred miles, retensioned the chain and the slightest fraction of mm of worn tyre and there was just about enough room. Although when the hot tyre picked up small stones you could hear them scrape the hugger still.

A thousand or so miles later theres plenty of space now.


Might just be the way.

That can be the case with the 1050 Sprint ST`s, as the rear wheel is adjusted by an eccentric hub, which can position the rear tyre too close to the hugger when either a new tyre or a chain is fitted
____________________
I accept no responsibility for swearing, drinking, motorcycle riding or your pregnant teenage daughter.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:25 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daffyd wrote:
Unfortunately that's not the case, the chain has a few thousand miles on it, the tyre even more so.

If I were to file the mounting holes for the hugger and mount it slightly higher / slightly forwards there shouldn't be any issues provided it's tight?

If your tyre rubs when you've got a new one and new chain on, do you just go with it and let the tyre wear the hugger away for a bit?


Yeah it wasn't offering any resistance to the wheel spinning so it wasn't putting tight pressure on, in fact it probably wasn't even touching the main tread, could have just been the rubber "hairs" brushing the hugger, but I just left it.

The Pyramid is fibreglass and fairly thick, so I figured if a couple of mm wore away thats still less than halfway through the whole hugger. And any wear this time is less/no rubbing next time.


I suppose it depends how much it's rubbing for you, but with a new chain and/or new tyre it will be significantly worse. I'd just extend the holes and fit it securely, with rubber washers to absorb vibes.
____________________
Current Bike: 1999 Honda CB600 FX Hornet
Next Bike: I want a CBR-RR. And I want an F800 GS-A. And a VFR 800. Can I have all 3?
Dream Bikes: Honda VFR750R RC30, Honda NSR500, Ducati 996 R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:38 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had an issue with after market huggers IME.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:44 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had murders with a Pyramid item for a 1998 Blade. T'was utter shite, I had to do all manner of surgery, tie-wrap and spacing-washers to get it to fit. And that was after numerous pics exchanged between me and Pyramid. After they'd sent a replacement because we figured the first was the wrong one. It was just extremely poorly made/dimensioned.
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:19 - 10 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder whether they expect the ZZR has the same swingarm as a ZX-R?

I have drilled out, widened and filed my current one to make fit. Total bodgery but now it at least stays on and keeps shit off my shock.
____________________
I'm Sam; Northern, Ginger, Lover
Did have: '95 ZZR600 '83 CG125 '97 ZZR1100 '15 Hypermotard 821 SP Do Have: '10 ZX10R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.47 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 101.18 Kb