Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Need a new oiler, anyone tried the Cameleon one?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

James83
Crazy Courier



Joined: 10 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 04 Sep 2014    Post subject: Need a new oiler, anyone tried the Cameleon one? Reply with quote

I’m want a new oiler. Considering the usual tutoro and scottoiler, I like the look of the system, but its more than twice the price of the tutoro. I’ve just come across this in my googling: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cameleon-Oiler-lubricator-driven-vehicles/dp/B00JI6W7WG/, but there are no reviews. Looks to be American, Anyone used one? Any good?
____________________
Jonathan A wrote: tart.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:40 - 04 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.
Never heard of them before. Web site appears to be cameleonoiler.com.
There's no bricks and mortar address that I can see. Call me picky but that sets alarm bells ringing in my head (no I'm sure it's not tinnitus). No phone number either. Contact only via website form.

What sort of (legitimate) company is afraid to tell you where they are? I'm all in favour of startup businesses but I draw the line if they can't put some effort in and not look like a scam.

..but your post has reminded me I still need a chain oiler. Preferably before winter.

Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

James83
Crazy Courier



Joined: 10 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:46 - 04 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts exactly, hence the question. I'm not playing guinea pig here - if no ones used one on here, I'm not going to bother Smile
____________________
Jonathan A wrote: tart.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ninjabob
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 27 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:51 - 04 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think they have been available in the US for a long time - never here.

Looks like a quality piece of kit.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/cameleon-motorcycle-chain-oiler/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:02 - 04 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW found a supposedly independent review on webbikeworld.com <edit>as link above by ninjabob</edit>. Oiler requires electrical connection which may account for cost over manual, or the shake release auto, Tutoro. I guess has electric brain to pulse out oil.

What I take from the review...
WebBikeWorld Cameleon Review wrote:
...The most difficult part of installing any automated chain oiling system is getting the drip tube correctly located. With the Cameleon, you also have the added issue of tapping into a switched electrical power source...
I expect installation issues same as Tutoro. I'm guessing pulse rate may vary depends what actual oil you use.

For an electronic chain oiler based in the UK have you seen PDOiler.co.uk?
Google shows me lots more hits on people actually installing that. Looks ballpark price a tad cheaper than the Cameleon too.
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

barrkel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:30 - 04 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the scottoiler e-system on my old ER6f. I took it off before I sold it, but my VFR came with a scottoiler v-system and I've not swapped them around.

Electronic oilers - judging by the esystem - are definitely better than gravity-based oilers, especially when touring. With big temperature differentials depending current weather, the oil viscosity can change quite a bit, and it's not difficult to dump all your chain oil in short order when using a setting suitable for a cool, rainy day in warm sunshine. I never had this problem with the esystem.
____________________
Bikes: S1000R, SH350; Exes: Vity 125, PS125, YBR125, ER6f, VFR800, Brutale 920, CB600F, SH300x4
Best road ever ridden: www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2MhNxUEYtQ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:54 - 04 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a loobman on my ZZR which I got quite annoyed with at first as I couldn't find anywhere for it to fit

It's currently fixed to the front of the pillion foot peg hanger and I clip my heel on it (it's a bit bulky tbh)

Since I don't carry a pillion it might get mounted on the hanger itself out of the way of my foot and in the way of a pillion foot for the above reason.

at £22 its quite good but requires some fettling to get working well and does drip a little bit now and then.
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:59 - 04 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PDOiler is very good, it uses a wick to deliver the oil rather than a nib and is electronically controlled. Thumbs Up

Doddle to fit, doddle to set up too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pukka
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 24 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:06 - 04 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:

For an electronic chain oiler based in the UK have you seen PDOiler.co.uk?
Google shows me lots more hits on people actually installing that. Looks ballpark price a tad cheaper than the Cameleon too.


I've got one of these, I can definitely recommend it. Have had it fitted for about 10k miles now and cant fault it at all.

Dont know much about the scottoiler personally but had a friend with the tutoro manual one that was always tinkering with it and could never get it to work properly before he decided to take it off and not bother.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

James83
Crazy Courier



Joined: 10 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 04 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PDOiler looks interesting, but it says you suspend the dispenser over the chain rather than touching it or the sprocket - do you find it hits the chain reliably?
____________________
Jonathan A wrote: tart.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:39 - 04 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

James83 wrote:
The PDOiler looks interesting, but it says you suspend the dispenser over the chain rather than touching it or the sprocket - do you find it hits the chain reliably?


Yes as long as you follow the instructions when setting it up. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:05 - 05 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

All expensive. Note that PD pump is available separately for £40 if your a cheap git.

I planned to assemble one using a bike engine oil pump (very small, very low displacement per revolution, and very cheap). however I never bothered to find a suitably slow motor to drive it (small stepper motor would be ideal)

So now, I just give a good squirt each outwards journey... typically every 40-60 miles. Quite a bit sprays onto the edge of the tyre, but Ive found its not noticably slippy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ninjabob
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 27 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:04 - 05 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:


For an electronic chain oiler based in the UK have you seen PDOiler.co.uk?


That is the one I fitted - physically pumps oil at regular intervals once the ignition is switched on - I think the Cameleon is just a gravity fed unit but with and electronic tap.

PD Oiler used to be marketed as the Motrax Lubetronic Electronic Chain Oiler until they went tits up and now sold directly by the maker and very helpful he is too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 32 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.42 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 80.43 Kb