Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Charging camera battery on bike on remote tours?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

charliefirpo
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 08 Jan 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:01 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Charging camera battery on bike on remote tours? Reply with quote

Hi

I will be making long trips with sometimes a few days without a power outlet. I will be able to charge my USB phone and GPS fine with the socket on my F650GS but I don't know how to charge my camera battery because it doesn't work with USB. It's a regular 220-240V AC.

Is there a way to charge your batteries on a bike? How do you fellow touring folk do that?


edit:

Is this all I need?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive-RINV120-Compact-Inverter/dp/B002XDERD8/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1426529058&sr=8-16&keywords=car+power+inverters
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:41 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that would do it, and you will likely find more uses for it.
Alternatively there's probably a 12V version of your battery charger but next year you might buy a different one and will sit gathering dust - but the inverter will do anything.
Be wary of trying anything remotely near the stated wattage though.
Small chargers should be OK.

The bestek ones are a bit more substantial without being too big.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BESTEK-inverter-Power-Inverter-MRI2013U/dp/B00ALRM4RY/


Last edited by doggone on 20:45 - 16 Mar 2015; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:44 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What camera?
____________________
Current Bikes:Honda 929RR Fireblade, Honda CD200 Benly (Project), Stomp Z2 140
Electric Bike Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ninjabob
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 27 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:01 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to draw too much current for a bike battery to be happy with. Go for a 12v solution if possible.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

charliefirpo
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 08 Jan 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:14 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks doggone, I saw that one too and thought it would probably be better. I'll get that one if I go that rout.

Aff, I have a Canon 7D.

ninjabob, I was afraid somebody would say that. I have no idea unfortunately how all this electrical gear really works in detail and naturally I don't want to end up with an empty battery.

So a 12V solution you say? But that is exactly the problem, isn't it?

My camera has this charger:

https://ibay365-goodsimg.s3.amazonaws.com/5426/20141124/20141124161956-365ff.jpg

I just found this thing here which is for 7D batteries:

https://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/751438114/Battery-AC-Car-Charger-for-Canon-LP-E6-EOS-5D-font-b-7D-b-font-font.jpg

But does that indicate that with this I would not have any strange middle conversion going on and I'd pretty much use it the same way as charging my phone via USB?

If so then I'd certainly get this thing instead.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:17 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjabob wrote:
Going to draw too much current for a bike battery to be happy with. Go for a 12v solution if possible.


It will depend what you plug in.
The inverter doesn't draw 120w itself, the charger will be well under 50w probably more like 20w at most.
It would easily cope when the engine is running and for a short while when not.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andy_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:23 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

charliefirpo wrote:


I just found this thing here which is for 7D batteries:

https://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/751438114/Battery-AC-Car-Charger-for-Canon-LP-E6-EOS-5D-font-b-7D-b-font-font.jpg

But does that indicate that with this I would not have any strange middle conversion going on and I'd pretty much use it the same way as charging my phone via USB?

If so then I'd certainly get this thing instead.


Yes, that's the one you want!
I use one similar to it for my 700D

Basically you'd fit a cigarette lighter style socket on the bike and plug it straight in to that Smile
____________________
Aprilia Classic 125, GS500E, ER5-A1, ER5-C4, ER6 & an XJ6 project frame...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

charliefirpo
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 08 Jan 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:35 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

great!

What would the inverter come in handy for on a tour? Is there any other device you guys have in mind that I would use if I had an inverter with me? I can't actually think of anything. I mean it's definitely good to have the opportunity on a long tour, you never know when you might need it but right off the bat I can't really think of anything I would need except being able to charge a phone, GPS and camera.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ferrisio
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 03 Jul 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:47 - 16 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

charliefirpo wrote:
What would the inverter come in handy for on a tour?

Rapidly flattening your battery.
____________________
BMW R1100R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ocatoro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:05 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

if that's something that's a problem for the type of travelling you do. have you considered changing to pentax? they've traditionally been used by travel photographers, and as such listened to their main users and changed their battery system to double a's.... which are available cheaply all over the globe. something to consider...
____________________
CBT - 17/09/12 * Theory - 23/10/12 * Mod1 - 05/03/13 * Mod2 - 25/03/13 * BOSH!
Current - None Sad but shed project H100 (first bike Smile )
Past - ER5, '93 ZZR600, '92 CB400 SF, ZZR600 (again), yellow Monster 620, Blackbird - black Monster 620ie - '96 ZZR600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wots
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:58 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggesting a pentax over a Canon SLR? Rolling Eyes

Inverter is great in a car, just get the 12V charger. Also good, particularly for touring, are those cheap little led volt meters. Then you can see what is going on. It won't tell you actual draw, but it will show you that you are maintaining the right sort of voltage. Added bonus, you can see impending reg/rec implosion.
____________________
Currently: Yamaha DT 125 LC2,Repsol Fireblade, and Bumblebee MSX 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FlightRisk
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:14 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone I know had a Canon battery grip that could take 6 AA batteries. I presume there'll be one for the 7D, just another option to think about.
Agree Pentax make very good kit but since OP already has the 7D...

If you used an inverter I presume it's something you'd only want to use while riding. You'd kill a little bike battery fairly quickly if you used it while stopped.
____________________
Honda CB500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:14 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going away for 2 or 3 days, just take a few more camera batteries with you. Less pissing about, and less bulky than recharging on the go
____________________
Fisty: after polishing the tank with the glistenng beads of sweat from my full hot scrotum, I filled the headrace bearings with 10cc of my manmilk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

davebike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:31 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry and use a simple USB charger that plugs into a USB socket in the top box to charge batteries for my Nikon DSLR

I bet there are Canon usb chargers for you camera
going via 240v is never going to be good and the USB system is used while on the move and the bike is charging
Lots of 12v to USB units on Ebay
____________________
Dave
NC750Xdct + others at work !
[email protected]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:47 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with that, however an inverter is a useful thing to have for about £20.
I use mine during power cuts to run a router (for laptop) as we don't have any mobile signal here - and in cars for being able to charge things on longer days without buying additional 12V chargers for everything.
USB charging is a relatively new thing - since smartphones! - but does help a lot.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:01 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celt500 wrote:
Someone I know had a Canon battery grip that could take 6 AA batteries. I presume there'll be one for the 7D, just another option to think about.
Agree Pentax make very good kit but since OP already has the 7D...

If you used an inverter I presume it's something you'd only want to use while riding. You'd kill a little bike battery fairly quickly if you used it while stopped.


I have one on my 50D, 6aa's last 200/300 shots.

2 normal batteries (2 fit in the grip) lasted me 2000 shots a few weekends ago.


Alans Snackbar wrote:
If you're going away for 2 or 3 days, just take a few more camera batteries with you. Less pissing about, and less bulky than recharging on the go


This, Canon quote the 7d as having a 640 shot life, same as my 50D however I have noticed this is bollocks. I got 2000 shots out of 2 batteries a while ago, and the meter still said the batteries were at max.

Buy a few more and you'll be fine.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FlightRisk
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:03 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

I have one on my 50D, 6aa's last 200/300 shots.


Is that just normal disposable AA? I'd say you'd get much better with decent NiMH rechargeables or there's Lithium AA either. Lots of options with the grip anyway.
____________________
Honda CB500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:08 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon make a 12v charger for the LP-E6 battery. It's not cheap, but it is designed for the job. Canon CBC-E6.

https://www.wexphotographic.com/webcontent/product_images/large/37/1028675.jpg
____________________
Yamaha XJ600 | Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat | KTM 990 SMT | BMW F900XR TE
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:12 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celt500 wrote:
chris-red wrote:

I have one on my 50D, 6aa's last 200/300 shots.


Is that just normal disposable AA? I'd say you'd get much better with decent NiMH rechargeables or there's Lithium AA either. Lots of options with the grip anyway.


That was with the batteries I use for my flash gun, expensive 2600mah NiMh'd.

The whole point of it is to use disposable batteries, when you have nothing charged and the local area only sells standard batteries. No point taking expensive rechargeable AA's when a 'proper' battery is much better. The AA carrier is for 'Emergencies' not for practical use.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Peirre oBollox
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:35 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferrisio wrote:
charliefirpo wrote:
What would the inverter come in handy for on a tour?

Rapidly flattening your battery.

And possibly letting the smoke genies out of your bike
____________________
I accept no responsibility for swearing, drinking, motorcycle riding or your pregnant teenage daughter.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:49 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

For practically every make of camera, Nikon, Canon, Sony (especially), Fuji, Panasonic you can get a usb external charger from ebay.

You're bike has a 400w generator so no problem running a camera, GPS, mobile phone, heated grips and a heated vest all at one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ocatoro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:06 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

wots wrote:
Suggesting a pentax over a Canon SLR? Rolling Eyes


following the crowd into servitude.... Rolling Eyes

not really the place for it. but market share doesn't equate to quality.

the reason for my suggestion was obvious. it's for travel. and that's the main focus of the pentax slr market. hence why they changed their battery game to aa's. for worldwide ease of availability.

tools for jobs. use a canon and need inverter to drain a battery whist in remote locations. or use something more suited, and pick up a handful of aa's at any petrol station in the country... if you fail to see the good logic, you might need a carer buddy.
____________________
CBT - 17/09/12 * Theory - 23/10/12 * Mod1 - 05/03/13 * Mod2 - 25/03/13 * BOSH!
Current - None Sad but shed project H100 (first bike Smile )
Past - ER5, '93 ZZR600, '92 CB400 SF, ZZR600 (again), yellow Monster 620, Blackbird - black Monster 620ie - '96 ZZR600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.9 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 120.1 Kb