Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Cracked Sump - leaking oil - UPDATED

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

CVSensei
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 16 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:58 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Cracked Sump - leaking oil - UPDATED Reply with quote

So I just started the first oil change on my brand new MT-07.

Changed filter no problem.

Drained oil no problem.

Went to tighten up the bolt when I noticed there was a crack about 4cm long running underneath the casing. https://imgur.com/A2x4Pq5

I'm sure I didn't over tighten it, I only have a tiny torque wrench and I hardly gave it any effort which makes me think it might have already been there and I just made it worse.

Spoke to dealer and Yamaha assist about warranty and both of them got very tight lipped when I said I was changing the oil myself.

They're picking it up in the morning to take it to the dealer to check it out - anyone have any advice?
____________________
2014 Yamaha MT-07 ABS Deep Armour
'If all else fails, read the instructions.' - Grandpa
'Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.' - Arthur C. Clarke


Last edited by CVSensei on 06:26 - 31 Jul 2015; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sload
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:59 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing constructive other then brace for an argument. Might be worth trying to see if this is a common issue on other bikes.
____________________
Honda Varadero >> Triumph Speed Four >> Honda CBR1100xx
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:00 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Re: Cracked engine - leaking oil Reply with quote

CVSensei wrote:
anyone have any advice?



1) Collect your tool up
2) Throw them in teh bin.
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CVSensei
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 16 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:16 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Re: Cracked engine - leaking oil Reply with quote

Please.. I'm already on the verge of weeping.
____________________
2014 Yamaha MT-07 ABS Deep Armour
'If all else fails, read the instructions.' - Grandpa
'Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.' - Arthur C. Clarke
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:28 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a crush washer missing between the bolt and the engine case or can I just not see it?
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CVSensei
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 16 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:29 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
Is there a crush washer missing between the bolt and the engine case or can I just not see it?


There was no washer there.. Should there be?!
____________________
2014 Yamaha MT-07 ABS Deep Armour
'If all else fails, read the instructions.' - Grandpa
'Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.' - Arthur C. Clarke
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:33 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going by the state of the sump plug I'd say you over-tightened it and had the spanner slip off too. The dealer is going to say it's user-inflicted damage IMO
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CVSensei
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 16 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:35 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Going by the state of the sump plug I'd say you over-tightened it and had the spanner slip off too. The dealer is going to say it's user-inflicted damage IMO


I don't see how I could have overtightened it though.. It took all of my might to unscrew the bloody thing, I gave about half the force to tighten it back up..
____________________
2014 Yamaha MT-07 ABS Deep Armour
'If all else fails, read the instructions.' - Grandpa
'Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.' - Arthur C. Clarke
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:46 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha won't replace that Laughing

Sump for me is done up with fingers until washer presses against casing and maybe, just maybe 1/8 turn. 1 finger at end of spanner/ratchet. No more should be needed.

Can you buy just the sump...

First oil change. Y u no free dealer.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Az
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:47 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

CVSensei wrote:
yen_powell wrote:
Is there a crush washer missing between the bolt and the engine case or can I just not see it?


There was no washer there.. Should there be?!


A quick google of MT07 sump plug returns images of it with a washer on the sump plug. Whether the lack of washer caused the split, I'm unsure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

spannermonkey...
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:49 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been Over tightened, mechanics don't lie. What torque is your sump plug, you'll be surprised you can over torque very easy. You should a crushable washer to seal the bolt between the sump, copper or bonded washer type. Best bet to source a replacement sump and fit that. Unless you can find a man who can weld alloy.

Because you've serviced it yourself the warranty many not be covered as the dealers like to do everything and charge a fortune for doing not a lot.

I've been there and done this myself on a Suzuki a few years back, cracked the sump and stripped the thread. I learnt my lesson, young and stupid and brought a torque wrench best thing in the tool box.
____________________
Current machines - Aprilia RS250. Kawasaki H1A 500. Past machines - Kawasaki ZX7r P6, Yamaha RD250E (the one that got away), BSA Racing bantam (revs over 10'000 sweet as), Yamaha RXS100, Suzuki GP100, Suzuki GS500K2 - best all year machine ever - come rain, sleet and snow just epic.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:53 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, having taken another look at it, It looks like a bolt that has been wrung-off with a six-sided socket in a nut gun. If it really was as tight as you say then the damage could have been done by the monkey that assembled from the crate. Unfortunately, you're never going to get the dealer to admit to it all the time you have a hole in your, err, sump.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CVSensei
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 16 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:23 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had another look and it does actually have the washer.

I just don't understand how if I really did damage it myself by over tightening then how did the monkey who put it together not crack it? It may as well have been welded together I had to put all my body weight on it to loosen it at all!

I kinda figured I'm in the shit now regarding the warranty. Guess I just gotta take that hit. Worst part about it though is this is the first of my 10 day holiday and the dealer has estimated a minimum of 3 weeks to fix it. /Sigh
____________________
2014 Yamaha MT-07 ABS Deep Armour
'If all else fails, read the instructions.' - Grandpa
'Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.' - Arthur C. Clarke
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy new sump, fit new sump.

Good news - New sump is only £76.55 plus vat.
Bad news - they are on back-order.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5428532/mt07-2014-1ws1-europe-mat-gray-metallic-3/oil-cleaner
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CVSensei
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 16 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:59 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Buy new sump, fit new sump.

Good news - New sump is only £76.55 plus vat.
Bad news - they are on back-order.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5428532/mt07-2014-1ws1-europe-mat-gray-metallic-3/oil-cleaner


Already been picked up and delivered to dealer, I will leave it in their capable, money-grabbing hands. Crying or Very sad
____________________
2014 Yamaha MT-07 ABS Deep Armour
'If all else fails, read the instructions.' - Grandpa
'Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.' - Arthur C. Clarke
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:04 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame, coz I was just going to offer to weld it up for you whilst they order up a new sump.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

delsol
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:56 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Shame, coz I was just going to offer to weld it up for you whilst they order up a new sump.


That is quite a gesture, humanity, faith restored and all that.

Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:20 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that the threads didn't strip before it cracked.

CVSensei wrote:
I had to put all my body weight on it to loosen it at all!

Supposition: sump was already cracked by the bolt being powered in, bouncing on the spanner or socket handle to free it finally split it.

Sadly it's likely impossibru for you to prove it.

The thing that's really puzzling me, what I just don't understand, is why on earth you told them that it had gone while you were spannering it yourself.

Ring-ring, "WTF Yamaha, new bike is leaking oil, fix it fix it fix it."
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:25 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

CVSensei wrote:

I don't see how I could have overtightened it though.. It took all of my might to unscrew the bloody thing, I gave about half the force to tighten it back up..


Are you 100% certain that when it was a pig to unscrew you were turning it the right way? Quite easy to do.

All the best

K
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

evoboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:14 - 14 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
CVSensei wrote:

I don't see how I could have overtightened it though.. It took all of my might to unscrew the bloody thing, I gave about half the force to tighten it back up..


Are you 100% certain that when it was a pig to unscrew you were turning it the right way? Quite easy to do.

All the best

K


This.

The sump bolt will be fitted from the factory. As to why there is no washer on there, that might be something to bring up as it shouldn't fall off the plug once crushed meaning it may not have been there to start with.

If they honour it ill be amazed, but stranger things have happened...
____________________
Suzuki GT250 x7------- Fazer 600------CB250RS------Aprilia Rally 70----- Bandit 600

APT Motorcycles
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:22 - 15 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't the first oil change normally be done by the dealer as part of the first free service? Just curious as to what motivated you to do it yourself.

I use a 4" long 1/4" drive ratchet for tightening drain bolts - even the smallest torque wrench on the lowest setting could be too much (unless it's a good 'un).

Never seen a sump go like that though, without stripping the threads as well, so my guess is material failure.
____________________
Honda Varadero XL125(V8)
www.TheFutureIsHere.eu
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CVSensei
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 16 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:25 - 15 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pete
That is incredibly generous of you, I didn't even realise that was a possibility. Thank you for the offer mate Karma

Quote:
Roger
I am asking myself the same question. Innocent old me see's split in brand new bike, panics, calls the authorities and tells them the truth. My head is far more level today, and overflowing with regrets.

Quote:
K
Well now you say that you have me doubting myself but i'm about 85% sure I was doing it correctly.. Lefty loosy, righty tighty and all that.

Quote:
evoboy
I think there was actually a washer there, I've never dealt with a 'crush washer' before but there was what I think was a washer pretty much welded to the sump plug. I thought it was part of the bolt the first time round until further inspection.. I couldn't get it off but I presume that's what you're talking about.

Quote:
Taught2BCautious
Yeah it's first service was coming up in 200 miles but I was planning on a long trip this week and haven't changed or topped up since I bought it. And the oil light was coming on which I realise now might be an important point in this battle. I presumed it just meant it wanted changing.

We live and we learn, thanks for all your replies Thumbs Up
____________________
2014 Yamaha MT-07 ABS Deep Armour
'If all else fails, read the instructions.' - Grandpa
'Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.' - Arthur C. Clarke
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 29 Aug 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:50 - 15 Jul 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

CVSensei wrote:

We live and we learn, thanks for all your replies Thumbs Up


Good attitude Thumbs Up

Think it will be a case of hope for the best but expect the worse with this one but hope it goes your way.
____________________
Current Bikes / Projects: 1999 Rieju RS1 50
Previous bikes - 1986 DT125R (field bike), 1989 KX250, 1980 KX420 (with 500cc big bore), 1992 YZ250, 1988 KX500, 1989 XR250R, 1988 VFR400R NC24, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 2008 Rieju RS2 50 , 1993 Honda NSR 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 83 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.74 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 137.82 Kb