Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Brake Line Extension Piece

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Oldie
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 05 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:44 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Brake Line Extension Piece Reply with quote

Hoping to pull the bars back on my F800GT without stretching the brake line and wondered if there's a simple low cost solution using an extension to the existing fitting. I had a look around but, to be honest, I'm not sure what I should be looking for Embarassed All other cables will be fine.

Here's a pic of the current set up.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-K_LTAst5j60/VneeR5AiOkI/AAAAAAAAFEg/iRFEXYgui_I/s800-Ic42/IMG_20151221_063147314%25255B1%25255D.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Oldie
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 05 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:42 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this from the States might be what I need although I was hoping for a fixed, say, 2" connector, rather than an extra piece of brake hose.

Trouble is, can't seem to find UK suppliers of either option.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xBDcFlYc6x0/Vnespib_YkI/AAAAAAAAFFA/5NGQ9gDf53Q/s800-Ic42/f800st_line_extension.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:09 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had a look at where the brake line runs? If it's like my GS, it'll run back to the ABS unit, not straight down to the brakes. Do you actually need to extend it?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Oldie
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 05 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:20 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GT has a short straight cable that runs from the bars to a junction box fixed to bottom yolk. Unfortunately there is only room for a very small amount of re-positioning using an angle bracket (which I previously installed for 20mm risers) but I've used up all the "slack" putting 2" Rox risers on. They work fine height-wise, but with minimal pull back, so I need an extra bit of play and extending the brake line is almost certainly the only option.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:21 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Re: Brake Line Extension Piece Reply with quote

I'd have thought the 'simple low cost' solution would be just to replace it with a longer one?

Get on ebay and I expect you can find longer ones second hand for not much.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Oldie
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 05 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:26 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did think about replacing the cable but I'd prefer not to have to bleed the BMW abs system. I reckon that an extension could go on without bleeding if I take the front caliper off an get the pistons out to their max. Maybe I'm wrong on that point.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:58 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the same system as on the 800 GSes, bleeding shouldn't be an issue.

Unlike on older BMW systems which appear to be a right sod to do, the ABS circuit is sealed off from the normal lines. You can drain/bleed/flush the lines right through and the fluid in the ABS part won't be disturbed.

The Motorrad Monkeys have a gadget that will hold the ABS valve open so that you can flush / bleed that circuit at the same time, but you don't need to.

Ostensibly you can renew the ABS fluid by renewing the fluid in the normal line then triggering the ABS a few times to open the valve, then renewing again. I'm not 100% convinced that will be completely effective, but unless you actually want to renew that fluid it's not an issue - I drained and renewed the front circuit on my GS without any problems or trickery.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Oldie
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 05 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:11 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a brake fluid change recently so I can safely ignore the ABS for now. I did suspect that the bleeding process had been simplified and that would certainly make life easier if I simply install a longer brake line. I was working on the belief that an extension piece would be cheaper, hence the reason that Verholen etc include these in riser kits, rather than a longer brake hose.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Sep 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:44 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id do it properly, any joint is just another place for a leak to spring while out,
You will have to bleed the brakes to fit the small pipe and jointer so you may as well do it properly in one go.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:49 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
I did think about replacing the cable but I'd prefer not to have to bleed the BMW abs system. I reckon that an extension could go on without bleeding if I take the front caliper off an get the pistons out to their max. Maybe I'm wrong on that point.


How are you going to fit the extension piece without having to bleed?
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:18 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Oldie wrote:
I did think about replacing the cable but I'd prefer not to have to bleed the BMW abs system. I reckon that an extension could go on without bleeding if I take the front caliper off an get the pistons out to their max. Maybe I'm wrong on that point.


How are you going to fit the extension piece without having to bleed?


hes going to use the force
____________________
Fin: no matter how much I look at It I can't understand what was going through my head, all I remember is going about 80 and redlining it to stop it seizing.
360 Deg... Five 1/4 turns. :- Teflon-Mike 18 Jan 2015
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:22 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
I reckon that an extension could go on without bleeding if I take the front caliper off an get the pistons out to their max.

Maybe I'm wrong on that point.


So just how to you propose to manage to do it without bleeding the system?

You are going to have to undo a connection. which will mean fluid leak's out and air gets in..

Just get longer brake lines.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:05 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:


there is a shop in newcastle upon tyne which makes bespoke braided lines ..
quite sure i`ve seen ends as pictured loose in his shop window display
he makes the lines up himself ..
____________________
Whatever I post I have no citation and no intention of providing one..
caveat emptor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:08 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add an extension carefully to the top of the line would result in minimal fluid loss and all the air would start near the reservoir. Pretty much trivial to reverse bleed out, and an interesting suggestion given the reasonable concerns about bleeding past the ABS unit.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:18 - 22 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very ghetto - I love it.

I've never been sure of the point of those stops on M/Cs. Anyone?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:37 - 22 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
That's very ghetto - I love it.

I've never been sure of the point of those stops on M/Cs. Anyone?


They stop the banjo rotating to prevent strain on the hose when the bolt is tightened. I've cut a few off here and there you just have to be careful to hold the banjo in the right spot.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 05 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:52 - 22 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there are a couple of options out there. Verholen or Wunderlich supply a 2" metal extension piece with their riser kits but don't sell them separately but a bit of digging should turn up something.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 05 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:51 - 23 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vincent - that just might do the trick Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 285 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.61 Sec - Server Load: 3 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 113.46 Kb