Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Tailgaters

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Akiraprise
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:48 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Tailgaters Reply with quote

Tailgaters, how many of you get these bastards? The only reason I bring this up is because I had two on my spin tonight, a few of us out, doing the speed limit - no serious we were - it was wet and we get some prick in a scooby acting all hard infront of his chick, tailgate me (even though the fuzz was behind him - they then turn off)and overtake me, without that being enough he revved his engine at the lights and dumped the clutch and goes squeeling into the distance.

There was 4 50cc motorcycles, we're not even going to try so what's the point? What an asshole, saw him later on acting all fucking gobby when he drove past, I asked my brother if he knows the guy and he said he's a twat and allways does it.

The second one is 2 chicks in a ford Ka were right up my 'arse' so to speak all along the 'run', so I started jamming on my brakes, to see if they'd chicken out but they just hooted and overtook - i was getting really pissed off about now.

Do you guys get people like this? How do I tell them to stay back etc?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ginguar
Traffic Copper



Joined: 19 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:52 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find wobbling helps sometimes. Look like you are about to fall off and they normally back up. Course then you look like a tit so you can't really win.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:55 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing i do is either turn round and stare at them. I suppose it would be better if you had an irridium visor and were 6'5 Wink

Or if its dark backfire the bike so flames come out the exhaust and the noise Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

White Noise
Mr Dudwee



Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:00 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fecking hate them,
i rode back from exeter to brighton, on my way back i came to a part where a single carrageway becomes a dual, theres a car in front and one a fair distance back, so once on the dual i pinned it to get pass the car infront, going about 80-90 Embarassed
then check my mirrors can't see anything behind, but wait whats that, i see a little bit of shadow of a car, the bastards so close behind i can't see him in the mirrors! Twisted Evil
it takes me very by surprise so i get into the left hand land asap and let him past with a one finger salute from me, followed him at a distance for a while just to find him stuck behind a tractordown the raod! Laughing
When it was safe to do so i filtered around him with the one finger salute again Twisted Evil
just a story from me but they are pain in the arses, if they are causing that much bother just let them past i am sure you to will find them down the road stuck behind slow traffic!
Take t easy
WN
____________________
Buy my wife: 96' Yam XJ600s (Diversion)
Wing Commander White Noise - SE Clique
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:17 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally i'll try and make them go past, if they want to drive into a wall then they are quite welcome to.. just not worth it.

Another way is slowing right down, then caneing it right back to the speed limit, if they are back do the same again, repeat till they get bored or overtake and sod off Thumbs Up

Not thats it even remotely big clever or legal but.. on another forum a guy from the states rigged up a fog light on the rear of the bike, somebody getting too close would get a few sharp blasts of 60Watts of fog light in their face... apparently works tremendously well Very Happy
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:19 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

U kno what I do...

I skid!

I slam on the back brake, Skid for a split second, then hit the gas.

Its hillerious. Ok, it puts me in slight danger of being ran over. but U shud see then swerver allover the place behind! Laughing

They soon back off...

Failing that. if you drive with ur lights Off. Just switch ur lights On. They think uve hit the brakes.

<|Ben|>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The#Doctor#
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:52 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this happens i usually slow right down look back at them and then dust them to shit, love doing it to little boy racers with there go faster stickers and loud exhausts especially when you get them at the lights and there revving there nova's etc and you just tear them like there nothing loved doing this on my 125 as obviously there not very fast but as i know every corner round there and the fact that most of them cant drive for shit it was great not so satisifying on my 600 buts still fun!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jrod
Page 3 Girl



Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:09 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Binge has skidmarks Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:15 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice them, and then do nothing other than tut to myself about them and call them an arsehole. L plates attract them like moths to a flame. If they want to overtake, then they can and should, if it's safe. Otherwise they should be giving themselves enough space to brake.

If they want to sit right up my arse, I'm not going to speed (up) to give them the correct braking distance, I value having enough braking distance in front of me. About the only possible saving grace is that I tend to plan escape routes so that I can brake ending up beside rather than behind/ in the vehicle in front if I have to. I'd really like to not have to rely on that.

If I had a bike upon which I could actually get away on, then I'd probably be making hand signals of various varieties and rudenesses to try and get the message across to them.

Most drivers are okay though, and I've probably been guilty of tailgating people going particularly slowly too on occasion.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:23 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, they are bloody stupid by tail gating because if you have to suddenly do some hard braking for some reason they'll no doubt end up driving straight over you !

Evil or Very Mad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

steveh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:29 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

personaly, i slow down abit, and tap on the breaks, if this doesnt work, speed right up get abit away and jump on the breaks.

Or as i saw one lad do when i was out, drop your trousers and moon them, i was in a fit of laughter for about half a mile Laughing

Steve.
____________________
Current : 06 Zx10r, 07 Wr450f SM, 74 850 norton commando, 63 bsa b40, 1962 Triton 650, 67 Triumph Tr6r, 1955 Triton 750, 1978 TY250E.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:05 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just look in your mirrors a few times, really deliberately. Anyone who is just a poor driver as opposed to deliberately being a cunt will realise they're putting you in a dangerous situation and back off.


You do get some idiots on the road when it comes to slow traffic though. The other day in Matlock Bath in the traffic, I pulled to one side and slowed down slightly to let a small group of bikers past who were choosing to filter rather than sit in the traffic procession. Some retard in a car nips past after them... About two minutes later the road became a bit more favourable to filtering so I went straight past her. Can't believe that anyone would do that when there's no chance of them going anywhere(in a car!!), when there's hundrends of bikers on the roads so they must surely realise why i'd pulled to oneside, and that i'd be filtering as well when the opportunity arose... Neutral
____________________
Hard livin', hard luck.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

R6jonny
Nearly there...



Joined: 28 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:26 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Noise wrote:
I fecking hate them,
i rode back from exeter to brighton, on my way back i came to a part where a single carrageway becomes a dual, theres a car in front and one a fair distance back, so once on the dual i pinned it to get pass the car infront, going about 80-90 Embarassed
then check my mirrors can't see anything behind, but wait whats that, i see a little bit of shadow of a car, the bastards so close behind i can't see him in the mirrors! Twisted Evil
it takes me very by surprise so i get into the left hand land asap and let him past with a one finger salute from me, followed him at a distance for a while just to find him stuck behind a tractordown the raod! Laughing
When it was safe to do so i filtered around him with the one finger salute again Twisted Evil
just a story from me but they are pain in the arses, if they are causing that much bother just let them past i am sure you to will find them down the road stuck behind slow traffic!
Take t easy
WN



Aaaah remember that Audi TT that was a bit anxious to pass us down in Brighton !!! I think that method of sitting in the middle of the road and then pulling away at about 5mph worked pretty well Very Happy Very Happy


He soon pissed off down some side turning...........
____________________
Honda NSR125 - Yamaha R6 - Ducati 748 - Suzuki GSXR750K6/GSXR1000K7/GSXR750K8 - Ducati 848 - Honda SP1 - Triumph Daytona 675
"simply because she is a female and is thus her actions largely make no sense whatsoever by default"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:48 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually just slow down until they get the message. You can make a bike pretty wide when you want to.

It doesn't happen very often on the bike but pretty much every day in the car on the daily grind to work. The A40's full of wankers who drive up each others' arses particularly in the 40 limit (where no-one does 40) so if someone's up my bum I'll make a point of doing 35. If someone shufts me up the rear in the car, I don't really care as it's them that are going to be paying. Smile

If I'm on the bike and see a car doing it to a wobbly L plater, which is depressingly common, I'll cut in front of the car and slow them down... noisily. One thing that really winds me up is seeing a car pressuring someone who's nervous Thumbs Down
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

natv4
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 31 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:58 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree Bendy.

I have had to cut in front of a car doing it to my little bro before. Its not impressive at all. If they can see someone is nervous, they should back off. Its nice when bigger bikes look after you (from my own experience).
____________________
Travelling around the world...a bit at a time. Where am I now? / Visit my BLOG
Bike: Blue Honda VFR800fi (*NEW*) Mileage: 22k Countries visited: GB/F/D/CZ/PL/E/I/B/A/HR/H/Rus/E/MA
West Europe...2004, East Europe...2005, Russia/France...2006, Morocco...2007
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MissFickle
Nova Slayer



Joined: 12 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:15 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try and find some loose stones to spit up on their cars.. or dust if thats about...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:29 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found I have got a lot more of these bum bandits since I have the VFR.

I usually use the clicky front brake thing and flash several times, if they don’t get the msg then either pull over suddenly and follow them or slow right down.
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

innominate
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my mirrors off, don't notice them now.



But when I do, I find the calmly decellerate untill about 10-15mph below the speed limit. Then cane it back up to the limit to get the gap. Repeat ad-nauseum untill they get the idea.

As long as you brake slowly then it should all be OK.
& if they start to overtake, cane it back to the limit again.


They do eventually get the picture..
____________________
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

El_Bandido
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 08 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:36 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some old twat tailgate me in a brand new bentley the other day. i just turned round and stared right at him Twisted Evil . Worked a treat Laughing
____________________
Hold my beer and watch this!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:36 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am i the only one who stops in the middle of the road and get's off the bike?

By the time the bike is on the side stand and you get off and go towards them, they normally back down.

It's more fun when the traffic is busy!

Not really appropriate on dual carridgeways though!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:05 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I usually just whack on the front so the whole bike dives. Wakes em up abit.

Plus if they are behind you in traffic, a nice burnout and spraying rubber up them works nicely.

And also as said, turning round and glaring at them. That works too.

But to be honest, just move over to the left and let them go if you want an easy life.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do what Bendy does, also it's the way you are supposed to deal with tailgators, just slow down, don't feel pressured by someone behind you, just decrease the braking distance so to speak so it won't hurt so much if you have to actually make an emergency stop, they do get the message in the end. For added effect as they pass give them a Middle Finger
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:20 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much ignore them, but if I get a persistant offender then I slow down to a point which obviously annoys, then speed up again. I keep doing it until they don't tailgate any more.
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School



Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:58 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not a boy racer then I'll give the signal for back off, this usually works (even worked on an artic once). Smile

If I feel that they're going to hit me, then I'll just let them past, it's not worth risking your life for.

But if I think I've got room for manoeuvre then I'll keep slowing down until they get the point.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:59 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is rather annoying, but the initial post also had the ford ka tailgating mopeds. Fair chance there the car was sitting close in case an overtaking oppurtunity came up - Not much power in a ka.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 188 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.15 Sec - Server Load: 0.64 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.74 Kb