Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Are loud cans "Chavvy"?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Do you think that race cans on sports bikes are cool or chavvy?
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 23 ]
No
74%
 74%  [ 68 ]
Total Votes : 91

Author Message

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Are loud cans "Chavvy"? Reply with quote

Just a thought after the end can on my bike has been described as chavvy Very Happy Now I love my exhaust and the sound it makes makes me grin like a nutter, although I understand it won't be to everyone's taste.

Now my thoughts are like this. I like loud cans on bikes. The louder the better really. I like loud exhausts on fast cars - and by fast I don't mean a chavved up Nova - I mean cars like Ferraris.

However, loud cans on bikes such as scooters just sound crap, as do the loud "baked bean can" exhausts on the Nova brigade.

Do you think that race cans on sports bikes are cool or chavvy?

(Don't like all this "Chav" talk but that was the description of my can).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:22 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally gone off the sound of an IL4 race can. Urgh. Just sound rubbish when you're ON the bike yourself.

Now, a vtwin, well, now you're talking. Sound good on and off the bike. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:28 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Race tuned V4s Razz

Kinda like the bassy sound of the Blade (with Scorpion attatched, looking forward to hear it Yoshi'ed), it's not too loud until it's singing and isn't much of a screamer. Sounds nice on the overrun too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:29 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:

Now, a vtwin, well, now you're talking. Sound good on and off the bike. Very Happy

Pah, I couldn't disagree more.

Also, it's more annoying to everyone else as well Smile.



I have re-thunk my previous slight like of race cans when considering my dislike of boy racers.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:43 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

l,m a true beliver in "Loud cans save lifes" Laughing



My Remus is quite under 7,000 revs but over that it roars like a beast! unfortunly l rarely get to thrash a 1000cc bike around here. Sad
____________________
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Remus broke when I took it off sometime last year. All the bolts had rusted to their nuts. Sad

Just got the standard can now. Although, I'm quite enjoying it, I like the quietness. Very Happy
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

No its not chavvy keep it. It makes the chavs feel small Shocked
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

not chavvy i dont think, as long as the bike doesnt look "chaved" up and not on here do AFAIK
____________________
99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

selfdestructi...
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 13 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:55 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really like the sound of IL4 bikes with loud cans - all thrashy and whiney, but a 1's 2's and 3's sound ace (I'm biased cos I have a Daytona 955i and T309 Sprint Sport with loud cans).

I do think that all the coloured cans look chavvy - especially when fitted to a shell-suit 4cyl jap bike with 'colour matched' screens and bolts and other tacky accessories!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny



Joined: 06 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:58 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a quil can on my ZX6R when I bought it.

It was loud and awfull to ride with.

I put the standard on it as soon as I could!

Sounds awsome now you can really hear the induction noise!

Chavs put loud cans on their bikes to sound cool. chavvy bikers do the same.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

riichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:03 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

there not chavy,


i love mine it sounds bassy low revs, and screams like hell at high revs Twisted Evil .....

and it the lets cagers no your there witch is a good thing Mr. Green
____________________
.......... PLOD ............ zx636 2004
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jrod
Page 3 Girl



Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:09 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

Quote:
Do you think that race cans on sports bikes are cool or chavvy?


Yes or no... Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ProXimaCore
Dougal



Joined: 01 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love race cans on sports bikes. It sounds far better than the original can in my opinion.

However, when I was in New Zealand where they don't have any noise limits on vehicles. It was really beginning to become a real pain every day. Every town was full of boy racers and it was like living in the middle of a race track. These were totally ridiculous exhausts though. Old 1990 jap import sports cars everywhere with big bore engines and holes in the back of the car for exhausts. Sounded so nasty when they revved the thing up. Put me off a fair bit from non legal exhausts.

On a decent sized bike, they do sound really nice though. A decent exhaust on a nice car does sound really good too I think.

I think it can be chavvy in some cases, but mostly I'm for them.
____________________
Honda NSR125R -> Suzuki GSXR400R GK76a -> Kawasaki ZX636 B1H -> Honda CBR400RR NC29 -> Nothing Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:12 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zxr400er wrote:
Confused

Quote:
Do you think that race cans on sports bikes are cool or chavvy?


Yes or no... Shocked


Embarassed

Surprised no-one said anything sooner.

Ignore the poll question and look at the thread title - Are loud cans "Chavvy"?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Yoshi
Traffic Copper



Joined: 05 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

selfdestructiveplague wrote:
I do think that all the coloured cans look chavvy - especially when fitted to a shell-suit 4cyl jap bike with 'colour matched' screens and bolts and other tacky accessories!


Hope Zxr400er doesn't read that Very Happy

I think loud pipes are cool! But that's because I'm a biker and have one on my bike, if I wasn't a biker I would probably think it was annoying!

Matt Thumbs Up
____________________
Present: GS650 Katana - Getting ready for summer touring!
Past: TS50, RS50, ZXR400, LT80, TS250
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Groove
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:37 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, luved the noise my can used to make!

Never realised when i was told "its a head turner" that it actually did it Cool
____________________
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:39 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Laughing Mine turns heads but only when im sat on it strange ay Thinking
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:42 - 06 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike most chavvy cars, most bikes have the bite to match their bark. A loud exhaust gets to me after a while, whether it is mine or not. I do like them, just in moderation.

An exhaust note is always going to sound better than the tyre noise.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:04 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may seem a bit out of place but.....

I think people are blurring the line between chavs and ordinary boy racers. OK chavs usually drive cars, Novas etc. But boy racers just love their cars like we do bikes, sometimes over the top with bodykits and neons etc.

Yes some chavs fit loud cans to their cars, but normal boy racers sometimes do too.

To me a chav is usually a mouthy twat who is full of themselves. Burbury commonplace! Most boy racers arent, they just like having wheels and freedom.

If its not stupidly loud, and fitted to something that shifts quickly - I'm for it. Whether its car or bike Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Numb Nuts
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 04 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:43 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they sound ace tbh Very Happy

Why do the fuzz frown upon loud sports cans but strap a loud can to your chrome v-twin and you can have it as loud as you want?

I work in an office and it has a bypass that runs down the side of it and you can hear the chromosexuals on their cruisers coming down the street louder the police sirens pulling over speeding cars!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:19 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't describe them as "Chavvy" really. Personally I don't see the point, other than if the noise it makes floats your boat. I could also see it as a cheaper option though if you needed to replace the original can because of damage, etc.

For me they do nothing, I'd rather have a fast quiet bike than a fast noisy bike. I don't need to alert the local constabulary to my imminent or not so imminent arrival.

I know there are mixed feelings about under seat exhausts, but one of the design principles for the 1000RR Blade exhaust system was to make it aurally pleasing for the rider. By raising the height, position and the way the noise is dispersed Honda found a compromise of a standard decibel limit for noise regs and a pleasing sound for the rider.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:28 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Micron carbon can on my Blade for the simple reason that I filter a lot on my way to work. When I first got my current Blade, it was road legal, I got more people changing lanes on me than I had for a long time. They also would block the gap in the middle because they never use their mirrors. When they can hear me, they then look in their mirrors and then tend to move over.

I don't tend to ride like a tit anyway, unless it's somewhere I know it's safe, so I don't mind that fact that I am announcing my presence.

I have a plain carbon can too, no colour matching and no other bolt on tat.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:28 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatters wrote:
l,m a true beliver in "Loud cans save lifes" Laughing



My Remus is quite under 7,000 revs but over that it roars like a beast! unfortunly l rarely get to thrash a 1000cc bike around here. Sad


Have to agree with that.

When I was filtering on the A13 on my little 125, no-one could hear me and no-one would ever move across. Got my ZXR with a carbon Micron end can that has no baffles and is stupidly loud, filter up the A13 and people are moving across, because they can hear me.

I personally LOVE the sound of my end can, both on the bike and off it, it was even better when I fired her up after doing the head gasket with no can on at all Twisted Evil. I prefer it to the sound of my dad's TL-R with Scorpion cans on to be honest, although that does sound awesome, I still prefer the sound of an IL4 with a can.
____________________
'90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:59 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflex wrote:
When I was filtering on the A13 on my little 125, no-one could hear me and no-one would ever move across. Got my ZXR with a carbon Micron end can that has no baffles and is stupidly loud, filter up the A13 and people are moving across, because they can hear me.


That was the primary reason for getting my aftermarket can but now on the road to Glasgow, the number of motorists which hear me coming and pull out to stop me passing far surpasses the number that are kind enough to give me a little room.

So the baffle went back in. Around town I would like a loud can so pedestrians know when not to step on the road but alas, my baffle is NOT easy to take out so I jsut leave it in now. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot



Joined: 04 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:10 - 07 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really looking forward to having the loud can on my new bike, but now I'm riding it I'm a bit embarrased by it.

OK, it sounds lovely, but I don't like scaring little old ladies at pedestrain crossings, making babies cry and setting car alarms of from 20 feet away.

Plus just cos you've got a loud can all the ped bois want to have a go at the TLGP. Can't be arsed with that, too slippery out there at the moment.

Still, I'm going to leave it on cos it sounds GREAT Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.26 Sec - Server Load: 0.88 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 136.61 Kb