|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Danny |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Danny Ask Me About Stoppie School

Joined: 26 Jan 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| map |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 map Mr Calendar

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:00 - 11 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
A Deauville (the original older model) meets the criteria, except possibly it was a fun bike to ride .
Not owned one but did look into it as a commuter.
Or maybe something like this K75RT £2250
https://www.forcemotorcycles.com/library/prod_175a.jpg
from these people.
Again, not owned but looked into.
I would say a ST1100 but may be difficult with the budget.
It's also almost double the 600cc.
Although shop around and an early 91/92 or even 93 model might be possible  ____________________ ...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger?  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Milo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Milo World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Feb 2002 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:07 - 11 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
the NTV you were looking at fell through I take it?
The GT550's are brilliant bikes by all accounts, and a screen make good tourers too. You should be pretty familiar with that engine too!
You can pick up the older chain drive BMW f650's fairly cheap and it seems most have a scottoiler on them...though yeah I don't like chain drive either, even with a Scottoiler.
The middleweight shaft drives bikes are annoyingly rare and are no longer in production which is a real shame. ____________________ Shaft drives rule.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Danny |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Danny Ask Me About Stoppie School

Joined: 26 Jan 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:16 - 11 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Yes the NTV650 did fall through, hated it on the test ride:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=821385#821385
That K75RT certainly does look interesting and I'll research it and then possibly go for a test ride.
As for the Deauville and F650, I have an unnatural hatred for the look of these bikes.
I did consider the GT550, but the ultra crappy brakes and slightly suspect electrics rule this one out.
Thanks for all the replies so far, keep 'em coming. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irezumi aka Reuben |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irezumi aka Reuben Carrot Top
Joined: 28 Sep 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:21 - 11 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
My Dad has a Deauville.
Accelerates quick enough to leave all the car's obviously, other bikes piss on it, then again depends what you want it for. It's reasonably slim though the panniers can cause some difficulties. Need's to have the gear prodded in fairly well though, as my Dad found out on his first ride. Very comfy bike, he also has a taller screen and it keeps most wind off of him and fairly dry.
It is an NTV/BROS but with lots of plastic added, frame is the same and so is engine it seems. For what it is the bike turns fairly swiftly and it can move a ta reasonable pace. Sips fuel, and tyres last forever. Dont bother trying to rev it much though, it has to be ridden like a car. Shifting up at around 6000 otherwise it just vibes and doesnt go any quicker.
Couriers seem to like them so they must be good. A new 680cc model is also out so prices will start to drop.
My dad payed around £3000 for a 2005 model for his. Light scuffs where it had been dropped but had done 12,000 miles in 6 months. It had been used by a long distance commuter, he was not a courier and the bike had been maintatined meticulously. There are bargains to be had and plenty about.
Edit:Forget to mention it is also VERY comfy.
I think it's post 2004 bike also come with linked brakes as standard, before that it was optional. ____________________ Pictorgraphicalfantastical |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:31 - 11 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
V-max?
I would instantly have jumped to a brick-engined BMW or NTV too.
Wasn't there that funny looking thing with hub centre steering? Pretty sure it was shaft drive.
What about an FJ or XJ series Yamaha? ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irezumi aka Reuben |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irezumi aka Reuben Carrot Top
Joined: 28 Sep 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Danny |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Danny Ask Me About Stoppie School

Joined: 26 Jan 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:50 - 11 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I don’t think a hub centre steering bike is a good idea for me seeing as don’t even fully understand how it works.
V-Max? No need to be rude
I don't know anything about the FJ or XJ Yamaha's, except that they are shaft drive. I'll try and look into them too though.
I've read up a bit on the K75RT and it seems like a good match, the only downside is the weight of it. Has anyone ridden a K75RT then? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irezumi aka Reuben |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irezumi aka Reuben Carrot Top
Joined: 28 Sep 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:54 - 11 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
One of the guys on the forum got one of these for around £3k. Sticking out cylinder's may prove a bit of a filtering problem, and the riding position probably isnt the best for commuting. New model coming out mean's these should drop in price, though not much as theyre beemers.
Beleive it was Milo who got one, an early model.
https://www.sportsbikeworld.co.uk/readers-bikes/misc/ndevree-r1100s.jpg ____________________ Pictorgraphicalfantastical |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Danny |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Danny Ask Me About Stoppie School

Joined: 26 Jan 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:00 - 11 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks Reuben, the newest version of that bike is my current dream road bike.
Unfortunately I can't find any of the earlier models in my price range, I believe Milo was very lucky to get his for that price. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sickpup |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sickpup Old Timer

Joined: 21 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheShaggyDA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheShaggyDA Repost Police

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:39 - 11 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Quick run down of the shafties I've had :-
XJ900F (pre Diversion)
Very comfortable, slim for a 900, reliable, good performance (for me, at any rate - would sit at the ton for long periods happily with a top end of about 130). Drank petrol like it was going out of fashion though; as Itchy said, 35mpg would be an average.
GT550
Comfortable, heavy for the engine size but it's low down, surprisingly flickable - great for those "BANZAIIII!!!!" commuting moments in London. Noisy engine, mine sounded like a bag of bolts dancing on the piston heads from new. Top end just under 120 (it had the Zephyr engine, retuned for midrange), sits at 85-90 for long periods happily, would be better with a screen. Consumption was about 45mpg average, and I can't really comment on the reliability , as I only had it for about 18 months but the fact that couriers are still abusing them is testament enough, I think.
BMW R100RT
Volvo of the bike world. Big. Big big big. Tiresome as a commuter through town though, but great on motorways and the open road. Easy to work on, comfortable, consumption pants though - about the same as the XJ. Seat height was the tallest I could managed (29" inside leg), and as it was a heavy bike made moving it about tricky at times. Top end was about 115, cruised at 90 easily but you'd want to drop that to 80 if you wanted to reduced the handlebar vibes.
This guy usually has a nice selection of beemers :- https://www.euroclassics.co.uk/
Bottom line, I'd have any of the above again. ____________________ Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet
[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581] |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irezumi aka Reuben |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irezumi aka Reuben Carrot Top
Joined: 28 Sep 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tarmacsurfer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tarmacsurfer World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:47 - 11 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Itchy wrote: | that 900CC Yam shaftie XJ is appalling on fuel consumption , theres this guy I always used to park next to in Bolton , he said 35MPG was what he got on average and that wasn't even ragging it. | I was using around £10-£15 worth a day, bear in mind that's city centre/town riding from 0900 to 1800, maybe 2 hours dead time in that, otherwise the engine running constantly. I'd say his carb setup was way out of whack.
As far as I am concerned the pre diversion XJ was one of the best bikes I've had, did 40k miles to going around the clock with no more than a very basic service (oil, pads, bearings, filters checked etc) every 6000 miles or so. Never had to open the engine and the clutch felt good throughout. It was bought as a disposable cheapie after my NTV blew up (company bike, that one was maintained rigorously and still decided to commit hara kiri) and suprised everyone by staying alive and well right up until I left the circuit. Looked like a dog, but ran well and above all totally reliably. Not a sports bike, don't try and pretend it is, but felt comfortable in and out of town (a rarity) and coped admirably with "fun" roads on the occasions I had to go out into B road territory. ____________________ I'm immortal. Well, so far. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| doggone |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 doggone World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheShaggyDA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheShaggyDA Repost Police

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:19 - 11 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'd love to have got 60mpg out of my XJ. Mind you it was extremely rare occasions I stuck to the speed limits.  ____________________ Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet
[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581] |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tatters |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tatters Exxon Valdez

Joined: 05 Jan 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:21 - 11 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Whats the CX500 MPG like? ____________________ Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BM_troubleYou? |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BM_troubleYou? Derestricted Danger
Joined: 14 Dec 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:22 - 11 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Not that is anywhere near the price that you metioned, but the BMW 1150 GS, or the 1200 GS Adventure (released in Mar06) would do all that, and more. Just play the lotto more, you never no
On a more relevant note, i own a BMW 650 Dakar, although its not a shaft drive, it meets all your other requirements. I got mine for 2750 on an 03 plate in sept 05. I would recommend it to anyone wishing to ride many miles around town, the thing feels like it was built for it; higher riding position to the normal GS version etc. It copes with the motor as well as any single cylinder can (if not slightly better). I do find long motorway journeys (120 miles +) are slightly annoying as the bike sits at 90mph (safe) top whack. Also, looking around at the Dakars availiable at the moment, most of them only have the added extras; heated handles and BMW luggage, both of which are very high quality and usefull.
Happy hunting! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iCraig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iCraig World Chat Champion
Joined: 05 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nrml76 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nrml76 Brolly Dolly

Joined: 05 Nov 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:06 - 11 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
K75RT
Never seen one, but looks the sort of bike you would continue to love despite others turning their noses up at it. I want one . |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mr.z |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mr.z World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Feb 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Danny |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Danny Ask Me About Stoppie School

Joined: 26 Jan 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iCraig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iCraig World Chat Champion
Joined: 05 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:47 - 11 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Danny wrote: | I don't want to use it for trackdays as I found using my only form of transport on track a bit off putting, so I want to get myself a dedicated trackbike when I can afford it. |
I can agree with you there, the only time I used mine on track, I kinda killed the engine.
| Danny wrote: | I do really want a shaft drive as I'm fed up with paddock stands/scotoilers etc..
|
Then why not get a bike with a centrestand? It takes me less than 2 minutes each day to cover my chain in oil on my bike, so its not like its hard.
Also with you saying the C.of.G was high on the NTV, I think you'll find its like that on most if not all Shafties, there designed for long journies and not commuting in my opinion.
Have you considered a cheap 500cc bike for commuting, and getting the fun bike also?
A cheap CB500, from the mid 90's can be picked up at the moment for about £700, there cheap to run, insure and parts are cheap too. You could get something even better with your budget and still get a fun bike for the summer too. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|