Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Which shaft drive commuter bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School



Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:33 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Which shaft drive commuter bike? Reply with quote

I'm looking for an ultra reliable shaft drive commuter bike to replace my broken Thundercat, below I’ve detailed what I want from it.

It must be/have:
shaft drive
very reliable/ no corrosion issues
no second gear problems
low running costs, both maintenance and fuel consumption
not an absolute pig to ride
be able to handle 8000miles a year easily

It would be nice if:
it had decent mirrors - i.e. you can use them on motorways
it was around 600cc
it was a fun bike to ride
it wasn't a Suzuki
it was a BMW
parts are easily available/cheap

My price range is about £2000 going up to £3000 for something I really liked.

Any and all suggestions are welcome but try and mention if you have owned the bike you are recommending.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:00 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Deauville (the original older model) meets the criteria, except possibly it was a fun bike to ride Wink.
Not owned one but did look into it as a commuter.

Or maybe something like this K75RT £2250
https://www.forcemotorcycles.com/library/prod_175a.jpg
from these people.
Again, not owned but looked into.

I would say a ST1100 but may be difficult with the budget.
It's also almost double the 600cc.
Although shop around and an early 91/92 or even 93 model might be possible Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Milo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:07 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

the NTV you were looking at fell through I take it?
The GT550's are brilliant bikes by all accounts, and a screen make good tourers too. You should be pretty familiar with that engine too! Wink

You can pick up the older chain drive BMW f650's fairly cheap and it seems most have a scottoiler on them...though yeah I don't like chain drive either, even with a Scottoiler.

The middleweight shaft drives bikes are annoyingly rare and are no longer in production which is a real shame.
____________________
Shaft drives rule. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School



Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:16 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the NTV650 did fall through, hated it on the test ride:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=821385#821385

That K75RT certainly does look interesting and I'll research it and then possibly go for a test ride.

As for the Deauville and F650, I have an unnatural hatred for the look of these bikes.

I did consider the GT550, but the ultra crappy brakes and slightly suspect electrics rule this one out.

Thanks for all the replies so far, keep 'em coming.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:21 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad has a Deauville.

Accelerates quick enough to leave all the car's obviously, other bikes piss on it, then again depends what you want it for. It's reasonably slim though the panniers can cause some difficulties. Need's to have the gear prodded in fairly well though, as my Dad found out on his first ride. Laughing Very comfy bike, he also has a taller screen and it keeps most wind off of him and fairly dry.

It is an NTV/BROS but with lots of plastic added, frame is the same and so is engine it seems. For what it is the bike turns fairly swiftly and it can move a ta reasonable pace. Sips fuel, and tyres last forever. Dont bother trying to rev it much though, it has to be ridden like a car. Shifting up at around 6000 otherwise it just vibes and doesnt go any quicker.

Couriers seem to like them so they must be good. A new 680cc model is also out so prices will start to drop.

My dad payed around £3000 for a 2005 model for his. Light scuffs where it had been dropped but had done 12,000 miles in 6 months. It had been used by a long distance commuter, he was not a courier and the bike had been maintatined meticulously. There are bargains to be had and plenty about.

Edit:Forget to mention it is also VERY comfy.

I think it's post 2004 bike also come with linked brakes as standard, before that it was optional.
____________________
Pictorgraphicalfantastical
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:31 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

V-max? Laughing

I would instantly have jumped to a brick-engined BMW or NTV too.

Wasn't there that funny looking thing with hub centre steering? Pretty sure it was shaft drive.

What about an FJ or XJ series Yamaha?
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:41 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wasn't there that funny looking thing with hub centre steering? Pretty sure it was shaft drive.

Yamaha GTS1000?

https://ladj.com/gts/Leftside.jpg Unfortunately that's chain. Should have been shaft really.
____________________
Pictorgraphicalfantastical
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School



Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:50 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think a hub centre steering bike is a good idea for me seeing as don’t even fully understand how it works. Laughing

V-Max? No need to be rude Razz

I don't know anything about the FJ or XJ Yamaha's, except that they are shaft drive. I'll try and look into them too though.

I've read up a bit on the K75RT and it seems like a good match, the only downside is the weight of it. Has anyone ridden a K75RT then?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:54 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the guys on the forum got one of these for around £3k. Sticking out cylinder's may prove a bit of a filtering problem, and the riding position probably isnt the best for commuting. New model coming out mean's these should drop in price, though not much as theyre beemers.

Beleive it was Milo who got one, an early model.

https://www.sportsbikeworld.co.uk/readers-bikes/misc/ndevree-r1100s.jpg
____________________
Pictorgraphicalfantastical
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School



Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:00 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Reuben, the newest version of that bike is my current dream road bike. Drooling

Unfortunately I can't find any of the earlier models in my price range, I believe Milo was very lucky to get his for that price.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:24 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

535 Virago? , those babies are shafties do about 50MPG and have a low seat since its a cruiser theres one though they have appauling tank range the early models though I mean.

Or maybe an R850 BMW , saw one of those at a bike shop in Manchester , didn't like the flat twin though seemed that it would do a ton of damage if dropped sans engine bars. (weight was also an issue for me that bugger is 240kilos dry)


Last edited by Itchy on 20:32 - 11 Jan 2006; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:27 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny wrote:
I don’t think a hub centre steering bike is a good idea for me seeing as don’t even fully understand how it works. Laughing

V-Max? No need to be rude Razz

I don't know anything about the FJ or XJ Yamaha's, except that they are shaft drive. I'll try and look into them too though.

I've read up a bit on the K75RT and it seems like a good match, the only downside is the weight of it. Has anyone ridden a K75RT then?


that 900CC Yam shaftie XJ is appalling on fuel consumption , theres this guy I always used to park next to in Bolton , he said 35MPG was what he got on average and that wasn't even ragging it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:57 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:

It is an NTV/BROS but with lots of plastic added.


Please explain how it is anything like a BROS except sharing a similar engine?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:39 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick run down of the shafties I've had :-

XJ900F (pre Diversion)

Very comfortable, slim for a 900, reliable, good performance (for me, at any rate - would sit at the ton for long periods happily with a top end of about 130). Drank petrol like it was going out of fashion though; as Itchy said, 35mpg would be an average.

GT550

Comfortable, heavy for the engine size but it's low down, surprisingly flickable - great for those "BANZAIIII!!!!" commuting moments in London. Noisy engine, mine sounded like a bag of bolts dancing on the piston heads from new. Top end just under 120 (it had the Zephyr engine, retuned for midrange), sits at 85-90 for long periods happily, would be better with a screen. Consumption was about 45mpg average, and I can't really comment on the reliability , as I only had it for about 18 months but the fact that couriers are still abusing them is testament enough, I think.

BMW R100RT

Volvo of the bike world. Big. Big big big. Tiresome as a commuter through town though, but great on motorways and the open road. Easy to work on, comfortable, consumption pants though - about the same as the XJ. Seat height was the tallest I could managed (29" inside leg), and as it was a heavy bike made moving it about tricky at times. Top end was about 115, cruised at 90 easily but you'd want to drop that to 80 if you wanted to reduced the handlebar vibes.

This guy usually has a nice selection of beemers :- https://www.euroclassics.co.uk/


Bottom line, I'd have any of the above again.
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:44 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Please explain how it is anything like a BROS except sharing a similar engine?

Picky Bastard.

Chassis is very similar (the same?) is it not. Lots of other small parts are also the same. an Evoloution of it, but not that much. Think it produces less peak power doesnt it?
____________________
Pictorgraphicalfantastical
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:47 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
that 900CC Yam shaftie XJ is appalling on fuel consumption , theres this guy I always used to park next to in Bolton , he said 35MPG was what he got on average and that wasn't even ragging it.
I was using around £10-£15 worth a day, bear in mind that's city centre/town riding from 0900 to 1800, maybe 2 hours dead time in that, otherwise the engine running constantly. I'd say his carb setup was way out of whack.

As far as I am concerned the pre diversion XJ was one of the best bikes I've had, did 40k miles to going around the clock with no more than a very basic service (oil, pads, bearings, filters checked etc) every 6000 miles or so. Never had to open the engine and the clutch felt good throughout. It was bought as a disposable cheapie after my NTV blew up (company bike, that one was maintained rigorously and still decided to commit hara kiri) and suprised everyone by staying alive and well right up until I left the circuit. Looked like a dog, but ran well and above all totally reliably. Not a sports bike, don't try and pretend it is, but felt comfortable in and out of town (a rarity) and coped admirably with "fun" roads on the occasions I had to go out into B road territory.
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:08 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think the fuel consumption of the XJ900 must depend on your riding style.
I used to get about 60mpg most fill ups but that was mostly rural roads at legalish speeds.
Pootling along in scenic parts of France while on holiday I got near 90mpg on ocassions.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:19 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to have got 60mpg out of my XJ. Mind you it was extremely rare occasions I stuck to the speed limits. Whistle
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:21 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the CX500 MPG like?
____________________
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BM_troubleYou?
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 14 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:22 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that is anywhere near the price that you metioned, but the BMW 1150 GS, or the 1200 GS Adventure (released in Mar06) would do all that, and more. Just play the lotto more, you never no Very Happy

On a more relevant note, i own a BMW 650 Dakar, although its not a shaft drive, it meets all your other requirements. I got mine for 2750 on an 03 plate in sept 05. I would recommend it to anyone wishing to ride many miles around town, the thing feels like it was built for it; higher riding position to the normal GS version etc. It copes with the motor as well as any single cylinder can (if not slightly better). I do find long motorway journeys (120 miles +) are slightly annoying as the bike sits at 90mph (safe) top whack. Also, looking around at the Dakars availiable at the moment, most of them only have the added extras; heated handles and BMW luggage, both of which are very high quality and usefull.

Happy hunting!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:36 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was up with the NTV?

I test rode one a few months back and found them a nice bike to ride, very smooth.

Maybe it was just that particular bike maybe?

By the way, are you not gonna use the bike for fun at all, as I know you've done a few trackdays, so are you gonna use another bike for those duties?

And another thing I want to clarify why does it have to be a Shaftie? As they may seem maintainence free but alot need new oil every so often and a majority require new UJ's at certain intervals, maybe every 20,000 miles on some bikes, which is on some bike what you can get out of a chain in my experience.
I only say this as wanting a shaftie only is limiting the bikes you can go for.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nrml76
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 05 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:06 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

K75RT Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Never seen one, but looks the sort of bike you would continue to love despite others turning their noses up at it. I want one Very Happy .
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:13 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Whats the CX500 MPG like?


Its about 45/50mpg depending what kind of rideing your doing.

Not just that its very easy to maintain and requires little attention (fecking about with chains are a distant memory)

Not only that they are stupidly cheap, and fantasticly comfy even for very long journeys. For the money you'd spend on most bikes you could buy two (one to ride and a donor non runner)

I had a cx as my first bike, then got a transalp, didn't like it, now i am on my second cx and can't see me getting anything else for quite some time!
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School



Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:32 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig- wrote:
What was up with the NTV?
The C.G. felt way too high and overall the bike didn't 'feel' right, though it could have been just that one. But once I found out they are prone to 2nd gear problems I wasn't too keen on it anyway.

My bike is my only transport and I avoid public transport where possible so it will be mainly used as a workhorse. It would be nice if the bike could be used for the occasional weekend blast round the A/B roads.

I don't want to use it for trackdays as I found using my only form of transport on track a bit off putting, so I want to get myself a dedicated trackbike when I can afford it.

I do really want a shaft drive as I'm fed up with paddock stands/scotoilers etc..

I should probably mention that I'm 5' 6" so I can't handle particularly tall bikes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:47 - 11 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny wrote:
I don't want to use it for trackdays as I found using my only form of transport on track a bit off putting, so I want to get myself a dedicated trackbike when I can afford it.


I can agree with you there, the only time I used mine on track, I kinda killed the engine.

Danny wrote:
I do really want a shaft drive as I'm fed up with paddock stands/scotoilers etc..


Then why not get a bike with a centrestand? It takes me less than 2 minutes each day to cover my chain in oil on my bike, so its not like its hard.

Also with you saying the C.of.G was high on the NTV, I think you'll find its like that on most if not all Shafties, there designed for long journies and not commuting in my opinion.
Have you considered a cheap 500cc bike for commuting, and getting the fun bike also?

A cheap CB500, from the mid 90's can be picked up at the moment for about £700, there cheap to run, insure and parts are cheap too. You could get something even better with your budget and still get a fun bike for the summer too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.16 Sec - Server Load: 0.35 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.35 Kb