|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Rookie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rookie World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:24 - 29 Jan 2006 Post subject: Fees! |
 |
|
So I've booked my test.
Quick bit of back story:
I went to my first lesson on Friday, 2 hours. When I got there I was understandably nervous, as I've never ridden a geared bike before. Hopped on, he showed me round the stuff; not that I needed to know and we got going. First thing I noticed was that this was easy. Plus, it was incredibly fun. That's saying something, considering it was a 1996 GS125!
After I'd blatted about the yard for 20 minutes, he said 'You've taken like a duck to water, at this point I'm usually teaching people how not to stall.' I was quite chuffed. So we go out on the roads, fairly uneventful except for my tendancy to hit false neutrals, which I'd sorted by the end of the lesson.
After we were done, he said 'based on what I've seen today, I reckon you need 1 days training'. This came as a delightful surprise, I was thinking along the lines of 3 or 4.
Now here comes my problem; they're charging £23.40 an hour. That's pretty steep in my opinion, although I haven't asked any other places; I did the CBT with this guy and he's a great bloke so really I'd prefer to stick with him. Rides a godly VFR800 too.
Now I booked my test today, for the 22nd February, and booked a days training for the 17th, which is 6 hours. Total?
£240.40. What the hell?! I went through it with the woman on the phone, turns out they want £100 for the test. When I asked why (they said the fee was £60 for the test, I thought it was £40) and then that £20 was for insurance and £20 was for the instructor to wait at the test centre. Is this normal? Firstly, the £23.40 an hour rate, and secondly the charging for the instructor to wait and charging for insurance for the test?
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure as hell going to do it anyway, I just thought the whole thing was pretty damn steep. It's taken out most of my bike savings to date!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kwaks |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kwaks I'm not a fast rider

Joined: 28 Jan 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carvell |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carvell Scuttler

Joined: 05 Sep 2003 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 02:04 - 29 Jan 2006 Post subject: Re: Fees! |
 |
|
| Rookie wrote: | Is this normal? Firstly, the £23.40 an hour rate, and secondly the charging for the instructor to wait and charging for insurance for the test?  |
Yeah - it's normal.
You think he's going to sit there and wait for free, when he could be getting paid to do a lesson? Also, if the bike isn't yours (which I assume it isn't) then you need to be insured for the test and you need to rent the bike, £20 for the rental and insurance is good.
The motorcycle test is £55 on a week day and £65 for weekday evenings and weekends.
I would say that the price you are paying is not a rip off at all. £23.40 an hour for the bike, fuel, his bike, his fuel, his wage, his maintainance, his insurance and your insurance is reasonable. ____________________ Yamaha TDM 850 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| www.125power.com |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 www.125power.com Crazy Courier

Joined: 04 Jan 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 02:12 - 29 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
A one day cbt on a geared bike is £80 on your own bike up here, providing you pass in one day..... ____________________ My eBay Items |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ISLAND GIRL |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ISLAND GIRL World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 08:24 - 29 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I paid £80 for the CBT (used their bike), £70 for set of lessons and £55 for A2 test
Could not afford to do DAS, think it was over £170 at the time  ____________________ Live on the Isle of Wight and ride a CBR600F |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Andy C |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Andy C Tree Seeking Missile

Joined: 26 Apr 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 09:15 - 29 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
i paid £120 for a days traing then about £60 for test
days training was 9-4ish and then before test had 1/2 hour in the morning going over u-turns and all that
There charging to much i think
And well done for booking it  ____________________ 99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Old Geeza |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Old Geeza Back in my day...

Joined: 25 May 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 09:56 - 29 Jan 2006 Post subject: Re: Fees! |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| fuzz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 fuzz World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Mar 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:39 - 30 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I paid £100 for test, 1 hour lesson before test and bike hire throughout. Lessons were £75 per half day (3 and a half hours) or £130 for a full day.
Just check that you're getting a refresher immediately before your test, and then the price seems right. ____________________ https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iCraig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iCraig World Chat Champion
Joined: 05 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| phantomtek |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 phantomtek Lil Joe Tek
Joined: 20 May 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:51 - 30 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
That is alot.
Mine cost £330 for 3 days and my test, we are talking 3 full days here. My instructor took two people on a day, and whilst one was doing the test he was doing training with the other, which is very efficient to me. £17 an hour round here.
Sounds bit steep to me Ginters  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rookie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rookie World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 01:19 - 30 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ho hum.
Put the deposit down on the course today, so no going back now! I expect I could have found another place which charged less, but I suppose the familiarty is somewhat comforting.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dazbo666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dazbo666 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Jun 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:36 - 30 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Think I paid something like £500+ for my DAS
but that was theory, CBT, two 3 hour lessons on CG125, two 3 hour lessons on GS500, an hours pre-test lesson, the DAS test, and all the bike hire/fuel/instructors fees included.
It was a steep price to pay all in one go, but looking back, I think I got pretty good value, especially as the instructors were top notch IMO
Probably some of the most rewarding experiences, and some of the best fun I've ever had with me clothes on!! LOL |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Barney |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Barney Spanner Monkey

Joined: 17 Jun 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 11:20 - 30 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Yeah your prices sound about right, I did a just under a day and half of training, then my test, it came to abut £250! Extortion IMO but I wanted my full license so bad I was willing to pay.
Good luck  ____________________ CG125|CB400SF|CBR600FX|Triumph Daytona T595|CBR929RR |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:02 - 30 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Heh, this is why I'm doing 33BHP  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rob W |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rob W World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Nov 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:08 - 30 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
My A2 licence cost me £360. That was 3 full days training and hire and insurance of the bike plus the cost of the test, then on the day of my test which was about 3.30pm I think, my instructor took me out all day from 7 in the morning, just me and him so that was pretty cool cos I didn't have to worry about him keeping an eye on someone else the whole time.
That was the cheapest I could find around here, the next cheapest was £580. You haven't got a bad deal there, just seems like a lot when you haven't got a licence yet, but when you pass it'll all be worth it . ____________________ '90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RobB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RobB Spanner Monkey

Joined: 29 Apr 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:20 - 30 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
My CBT+DAS cost me just under £400.
£23.40 an hour doesn't seem that steep to me for an instructor. Bear in mind that during that hour he needs to cover wear and tear on the bikes, two lots of fuel, and various other overheads. Doesn't seem to me like he's making that much money.
At the end of it all, the enjoyment, independance and sense of achievement you will get from passing will be tough to put a price on. ____________________ - Yeah, you know the type, loud as a motorbike, wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight.
- The only thing I learned from love, was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you.
- If I don't meet you no more in this world, I'll meet you in the next one, don't be late. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rookie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rookie World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:27 - 30 Jan 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Absolutely, that's why I sent off a cheque for it last night.
Toby I'm doing the A2, no other choice as I'm only 17.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 256 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|