Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Fees!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:24 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Fees! Reply with quote

So I've booked my test. Dance!

Quick bit of back story:

I went to my first lesson on Friday, 2 hours. When I got there I was understandably nervous, as I've never ridden a geared bike before. Hopped on, he showed me round the stuff; not that I needed to know Wink and we got going. First thing I noticed was that this was easy. Plus, it was incredibly fun. That's saying something, considering it was a 1996 GS125! Laughing

After I'd blatted about the yard for 20 minutes, he said 'You've taken like a duck to water, at this point I'm usually teaching people how not to stall.' I was quite chuffed. Razz So we go out on the roads, fairly uneventful except for my tendancy to hit false neutrals, which I'd sorted by the end of the lesson.

After we were done, he said 'based on what I've seen today, I reckon you need 1 days training'. This came as a delightful surprise, I was thinking along the lines of 3 or 4.

Now here comes my problem; they're charging £23.40 an hour. That's pretty steep in my opinion, although I haven't asked any other places; I did the CBT with this guy and he's a great bloke so really I'd prefer to stick with him. Rides a godly VFR800 too. Laughing

Now I booked my test today, for the 22nd February, and booked a days training for the 17th, which is 6 hours. Total?

£240.40. What the hell?! I went through it with the woman on the phone, turns out they want £100 for the test. When I asked why (they said the fee was £60 for the test, I thought it was £40) Confused and then that £20 was for insurance and £20 was for the instructor to wait at the test centre. Is this normal? Firstly, the £23.40 an hour rate, and secondly the charging for the instructor to wait and charging for insurance for the test? Mad

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure as hell going to do it anyway, I just thought the whole thing was pretty damn steep. It's taken out most of my bike savings to date! Crying or Very sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider



Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:37 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody hell sounds steep to me. From what I remember I did cbt + 4 hours on 125 and 4 hours on 500 for £250. Applied and paid for my test myself and let instructor centre know. It then cost £43 to hire the bike and instructor for 2 hours(quick lesson followed by test).

Total costs excluding test fees was £293, but obviously had a lot more bike time.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:04 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Re: Fees! Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
Is this normal? Firstly, the £23.40 an hour rate, and secondly the charging for the instructor to wait and charging for insurance for the test? Mad

Yeah - it's normal.

You think he's going to sit there and wait for free, when he could be getting paid to do a lesson? Also, if the bike isn't yours (which I assume it isn't) then you need to be insured for the test and you need to rent the bike, £20 for the rental and insurance is good.

The motorcycle test is £55 on a week day and £65 for weekday evenings and weekends.

I would say that the price you are paying is not a rip off at all. £23.40 an hour for the bike, fuel, his bike, his fuel, his wage, his maintainance, his insurance and your insurance is reasonable.
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

www.125power.com
Crazy Courier



Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:12 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A one day cbt on a geared bike is £80 on your own bike up here, providing you pass in one day.....
____________________
My eBay Items
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:24 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid £80 for the CBT (used their bike), £70 for set of lessons and £55 for A2 test Mr. Green
Could not afford to do DAS, think it was over £170 at the time Confused
____________________
Live on the Isle of Wight and ride a CBR600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:15 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i paid £120 for a days traing then about £60 for test

days training was 9-4ish and then before test had 1/2 hour in the morning going over u-turns and all that

There charging to much i think

And well done for booking it Thumbs Up
____________________
99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...



Joined: 25 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:56 - 29 Jan 2006    Post subject: Re: Fees! Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure as hell going to do it anyway, I just thought the whole thing was pretty damn steep. It's taken out most of my bike savings to date! Crying or Very sad


The prices sound about right to me. It can be bloody expensive - especially if you fail (like me Embarassed ) - but it's well worth it when you do pass. And it sounds as though you shouldn't have too many problems Thumbs Up

One thing I found is that the test costs more if you allow the training centre to book it for you - usually about £5-£10 extra, since they take an 'admin' fee. Cheaper to book direct yourself, but you need to ensure the training centre has an instructor available on the test date Confused

Best of luck on your test Thumbs Up


____________________
Horse Power was safer when the Horses had it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:39 - 30 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid £100 for test, 1 hour lesson before test and bike hire throughout. Lessons were £75 per half day (3 and a half hours) or £130 for a full day.

Just check that you're getting a refresher immediately before your test, and then the price seems right.
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:42 - 30 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eek to me thats alot!

Then again I did pass my test nearly 6 years ago now so with inflation sounds about right I reckon.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:51 - 30 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is alot.

Mine cost £330 for 3 days and my test, we are talking 3 full days here. My instructor took two people on a day, and whilst one was doing the test he was doing training with the other, which is very efficient to me. £17 an hour round here.

Sounds bit steep to me Ginters Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:19 - 30 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho hum.

Put the deposit down on the course today, so no going back now! I expect I could have found another place which charged less, but I suppose the familiarty is somewhat comforting. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:36 - 30 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I paid something like £500+ for my DAS
but that was theory, CBT, two 3 hour lessons on CG125, two 3 hour lessons on GS500, an hours pre-test lesson, the DAS test, and all the bike hire/fuel/instructors fees included.

It was a steep price to pay all in one go, but looking back, I think I got pretty good value, especially as the instructors were top notch IMO

Probably some of the most rewarding experiences, and some of the best fun I've ever had with me clothes on!! LOL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Barney
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 17 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:20 - 30 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah your prices sound about right, I did a just under a day and half of training, then my test, it came to abut £250! Extortion IMO but I wanted my full license so bad I was willing to pay.

Good luck Thumbs Up
____________________
CG125|CB400SF|CBR600FX|Triumph Daytona T595|CBR929RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 30 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, this is why I'm doing 33BHP Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:08 - 30 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My A2 licence cost me £360. That was 3 full days training and hire and insurance of the bike plus the cost of the test, then on the day of my test which was about 3.30pm I think, my instructor took me out all day from 7 in the morning, just me and him so that was pretty cool cos I didn't have to worry about him keeping an eye on someone else the whole time.

That was the cheapest I could find around here, the next cheapest was £580. You haven't got a bad deal there, just seems like a lot when you haven't got a licence yet, but when you pass it'll all be worth it Very Happy.
____________________
'90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RobB
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:20 - 30 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CBT+DAS cost me just under £400.

£23.40 an hour doesn't seem that steep to me for an instructor. Bear in mind that during that hour he needs to cover wear and tear on the bikes, two lots of fuel, and various other overheads. Doesn't seem to me like he's making that much money.

At the end of it all, the enjoyment, independance and sense of achievement you will get from passing will be tough to put a price on.
____________________
- Yeah, you know the type, loud as a motorbike, wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight.
- The only thing I learned from love, was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you.
- If I don't meet you no more in this world, I'll meet you in the next one, don't be late.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:27 - 30 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, that's why I sent off a cheque for it last night. Mr. Green

Toby I'm doing the A2, no other choice as I'm only 17. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:41 - 30 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:
Absolutely, that's why I sent off a cheque for it last night. Mr. Green

Toby I'm doing the A2, no other choice as I'm only 17. Razz


Hehe, done 3000 miles at the moment so hopefully all I need to do is be told what my bad habits are.

Hopefull booking test in Warrington so I won't be able to move for traffic anyway.

Don't want to pay more than £150 total as I'm going into my overdraft.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 255 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.56 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 101.4 Kb