|
|
| When you do a bit of work on your bike, when you're finished you... ? |
| I throw the tools down, grab the keys and my lid and go for a beasting up and down my favourite roads |
|
28% |
[ 14 ] |
| I carefully put all the tools away, clean myself up and go and get all my gear and go for a proper ride to test it |
|
24% |
[ 12 ] |
| I put on my lid, gloves and a thick jacket (any gear i dont mind getting oily) and ive it a little run down the road at most. Take it back and check everythings good still, then go down the pub |
|
10% |
[ 5 ] |
| I loathe the first ride after i do work, as i expect it to catch fire or something. Even if ive just changed bar ends... something /will/ explode |
|
14% |
[ 7 ] |
| When i do work i /know/ everything will be fine, i /know/ what my bike will feel like afterwards, so i settle in the sofa with a cuppa after a ncie shower |
|
18% |
[ 9 ] |
| Being an overpaid midlife crisis BAB accountant with an 05 R1, i tend to leave dealers to do all the hard stuff, like oil changes and chain lubing... wouldnt want to void the warranty (my dad.... :roll:) |
|
4% |
[ 2 ] |
|
| Total Votes : 49 |
|
| Author |
Message |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:24 - 07 Nov 2005 Post subject: Permit me an idle curiousity... |
 |
|
I was reminded in my thread about the smod being a festering heap of carp with odd foibles about my sudden urge yesterday.
After getting back from a 2 hour ride, in the cold and the rain (it started out dry until about 45 minutes in, then i turned around and took longer because of said rain) so i was bloody freezing. Got a brew on, dumped my gear and rushed downstairs in my overalls to tension the chain and lube it (first bit of maintenance ive been arsed with doing on it) in the dark and cold.
Now heres my curiousity. After tightening everything back up i was almost overcome with the urge to rush upstairs, don the gear and go for a ride to tickle her throat and check if it felt better, to see what it can do with a properly adjusted chain, to really give it some stick.
But i couldnt, because it was cold, damp, dark, the battery was inside and frankly i couldnt be arsed getting it started again (serious mission).
I was deeply upset by that.
Back home, on the cbr, ANYTHING i did to the bike resulted in a blast around the block at least. Tools left laying on the drive, me just in a helmet and covered in oil.
At uni its just not practical to do that.
So i was wondering is that normal.
I'll whack on a poll too, just for amusements sake. ____________________ China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| killa |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 killa Won't Shut Up

Joined: 18 Oct 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:28 - 07 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Made me laugh, I have no idea but I tend to fix/bodge something and think “If I go and blast the bike within a inch of it’s life now and X doesn’t come off/catch alight/rattle, I’m doing fine”
PMSL! ____________________ Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Andy C |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Andy C Tree Seeking Missile

Joined: 26 Apr 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:28 - 07 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
its a good question, i think its depends on the work you do.
For example
i took the CDI out of my bike and cut the wire so not dip between 5-6k rpm so as soon as did it tools left everywhere and when for a nice ride
do some cosmetic work then tend to not go out as hasnt changed how the bike handles in anyways at all
if i had to pick for majority i would throw down tools and ride, although need some new tools.. ____________________ 99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:33 - 07 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Can i just point out my dad never owned an R1, they scare him.
Was amusing showing him the video of the vfr wheelies the other day (including burnouts and other people riding it).
He just looked confused, then a wry smile.
I think i might be teaching him something sooner or later
The vfr 750 is apparently scary to his mate, hence why he sold it.
Then again, having pushed it a tad, with its juddery brakes and crazy digital (ie on/off) throttle, he may have a point.
Dad told me about a mate of his who bought a thunderCAT (not an ace, i mean the dull 600s - i was considering one and then realised they have the side profile of a busa/beluga whale) and only rode it 8 times, never even refilled it from the original tank over a summer. And then sold it.
As the guy put it, bigger bulge in the back of the leathers then the front.
And they get freakishly cheap insurance. Snot fair.
Oh btw the biggest bike dads rode for more then an half hour bimble is a restricted diversion. Let the sniggering commence. ____________________ China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:33 - 07 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Usually go for a whang round the block as soon as I have fixed it(about two miles or so), you can get it over the ton on one bit so it is a good testing circuit. Certainly don't put the tools away. What if your test shows that your fix is not good enough? You then have to get them all out again.
To be honest, I am lucky if I remember my helmet (and sometimes 'forget' it if I am checking to see if a strange noise has gone away). ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:41 - 07 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
By the looks of it im not going mad, and its a reasonably common phenomenon (like the urge to set anyone who happens to be doused in petrol on fire is... so irrational... so stupid... so... strong... )
I must admit stinkwheel i buzz up and down the end of my closed off road with no lid on, when i checked id changed the clutch alright etc. ____________________ China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| innominate |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 innominate Brolly Dolly

Joined: 18 Nov 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:53 - 07 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
bump bump
 ____________________ China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BenBray |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BenBray Spanner Monkey

Joined: 05 Aug 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:37 - 05 Dec 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I get the most retarded urge of all. Think you might like this one.
I spend close to three hours cleaning my poor little poor excuse of a bike into the ground. I get it all shiny, get the chrome looking sexy, check the air filter, top up the oil, lube and adjust the chain, and then take it out in the pissing wet.
By the time it comes back it's seriously dirty and the chain needs some attention again. On some occasions it's literally come back as dirty, or dirtier, because I get caught up and go on a 120 mile ride  ____________________ Current Bike: nc30 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dainesefreak |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dainesefreak World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Apr 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:42 - 05 Dec 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Where's the"It's a f*cking Honda, why would I need to fix anything?" option?  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dainesefreak |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dainesefreak World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Apr 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:44 - 05 Dec 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dainesefreak |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dainesefreak World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Apr 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:47 - 05 Dec 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Wise choice young man, now it just needs a few more cc's.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dainesefreak |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dainesefreak World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Apr 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:04 - 05 Dec 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
You should have a talk to craigs23, he's got a 92.
Urban Tiger Blades one of the bikes that got me into this mess in the first place.
Oh I chose option 5, although I'm more of a put it off, put it off, do the work as quickly as I can then worry about it tomorrow man myself. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| McGee |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 McGee O RLY?

Joined: 24 Jun 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mr.z |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mr.z World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Feb 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| numark1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 numark1 Scared of girls

Joined: 10 May 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:11 - 05 Dec 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I always think Please dont break again.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mchaggis |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mchaggis World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:54 - 05 Dec 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
My tools are normally out all the time, spread about over the workbench. I normally only bother going out to test it if it's something like valve clearances, fueling or spark plugs. Oh and also if it's work on brakes, I'd rather not set off on a commute to have a wall jump out at me.  ____________________ I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 307 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|