Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Permit me an idle curiousity...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

When you do a bit of work on your bike, when you're finished you... ?
I throw the tools down, grab the keys and my lid and go for a beasting up and down my favourite roads
28%
 28%  [ 14 ]
I carefully put all the tools away, clean myself up and go and get all my gear and go for a proper ride to test it
24%
 24%  [ 12 ]
I put on my lid, gloves and a thick jacket (any gear i dont mind getting oily) and ive it a little run down the road at most. Take it back and check everythings good still, then go down the pub
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
I loathe the first ride after i do work, as i expect it to catch fire or something. Even if ive just changed bar ends... something /will/ explode
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
When i do work i /know/ everything will be fine, i /know/ what my bike will feel like afterwards, so i settle in the sofa with a cuppa after a ncie shower
18%
 18%  [ 9 ]
Being an overpaid midlife crisis BAB accountant with an 05 R1, i tend to leave dealers to do all the hard stuff, like oil changes and chain lubing... wouldnt want to void the warranty (my dad.... :roll:)
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 49

Author Message

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:24 - 07 Nov 2005    Post subject: Permit me an idle curiousity... Reply with quote

I was reminded in my thread about the smod being a festering heap of carp with odd foibles about my sudden urge yesterday.

After getting back from a 2 hour ride, in the cold and the rain (it started out dry until about 45 minutes in, then i turned around and took longer because of said rain) so i was bloody freezing. Got a brew on, dumped my gear and rushed downstairs in my overalls to tension the chain and lube it (first bit of maintenance ive been arsed with doing on it) in the dark and cold.

Now heres my curiousity. After tightening everything back up i was almost overcome with the urge to rush upstairs, don the gear and go for a ride to tickle her throat and check if it felt better, to see what it can do with a properly adjusted chain, to really give it some stick.

But i couldnt, because it was cold, damp, dark, the battery was inside and frankly i couldnt be arsed getting it started again (serious mission).

I was deeply upset by that.

Back home, on the cbr, ANYTHING i did to the bike resulted in a blast around the block at least. Tools left laying on the drive, me just in a helmet and covered in oil.

At uni its just not practical to do that.

So i was wondering is that normal.

I'll whack on a poll too, just for amusements sake.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:28 - 07 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made me laugh, I have no idea but I tend to fix/bodge something and think “If I go and blast the bike within a inch of it’s life now and X doesn’t come off/catch alight/rattle, I’m doing fine” Embarassed

PMSL!
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:28 - 07 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a good question, i think its depends on the work you do.

For example

i took the CDI out of my bike and cut the wire so not dip between 5-6k rpm so as soon as did it tools left everywhere and when for a nice ride

do some cosmetic work then tend to not go out as hasnt changed how the bike handles in anyways at all

if i had to pick for majority i would throw down tools and ride, although need some new tools..
____________________
99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:33 - 07 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i just point out my dad never owned an R1, they scare him.

Was amusing showing him the video of the vfr wheelies the other day (including burnouts and other people riding it).

He just looked confused, then a wry smile.

I think i might be teaching him something sooner or later Wink

The vfr 750 is apparently scary to his mate, hence why he sold it.

Then again, having pushed it a tad, with its juddery brakes and crazy digital (ie on/off) throttle, he may have a point.

Dad told me about a mate of his who bought a thunderCAT (not an ace, i mean the dull 600s - i was considering one and then realised they have the side profile of a busa/beluga whale) and only rode it 8 times, never even refilled it from the original tank over a summer. And then sold it.

As the guy put it, bigger bulge in the back of the leathers then the front. Rolling Eyes

And they get freakishly cheap insurance. Snot fair.

Oh btw the biggest bike dads rode for more then an half hour bimble is a restricted diversion. Let the sniggering commence.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:33 - 07 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually go for a whang round the block as soon as I have fixed it(about two miles or so), you can get it over the ton on one bit so it is a good testing circuit. Certainly don't put the tools away. What if your test shows that your fix is not good enough? You then have to get them all out again.

To be honest, I am lucky if I remember my helmet (and sometimes 'forget' it if I am checking to see if a strange noise has gone away).
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:41 - 07 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the looks of it im not going mad, and its a reasonably common phenomenon (like the urge to set anyone who happens to be doused in petrol on fire is... so irrational... so stupid... so... strong... Twisted Evil )

I must admit stinkwheel i buzz up and down the end of my closed off road with no lid on, when i checked id changed the clutch alright etc.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

innominate
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:51 - 07 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I change the oil, then expect the back wheel to fall off.

Insecurity of self taught mechanics I think.
____________________
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:53 - 07 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump bump

Razz
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BenBray
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 05 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:37 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the most retarded urge of all. Think you might like this one.

I spend close to three hours cleaning my poor little poor excuse of a bike into the ground. I get it all shiny, get the chrome looking sexy, check the air filter, top up the oil, lube and adjust the chain, and then take it out in the pissing wet.

By the time it comes back it's seriously dirty and the chain needs some attention again. On some occasions it's literally come back as dirty, or dirtier, because I get caught up and go on a 120 mile ride Rolling Eyes
____________________
Current Bike: nc30
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:42 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the"It's a f*cking Honda, why would I need to fix anything?" option? Rolling Eyes Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:43 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
bump bump

Razz


That you trying to get your bike started after working on it mate? Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:44 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenBray wrote:
because I get caught up and go on a 120 mile ride Rolling Eyes


benbray wrote:
Marauder 125


Thats like 3 hours Shocked

No wonder it comes back as dirty.

Laughing

Dianese btw, i have a cbr6, it only needs fixing when i kill it.

Hence... quite a bit Laughing

(Cracked sump, binned it, and stripped the clutch Thumbs Up)
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:47 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wise choice young man, now it just needs a few more cc's. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:52 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:
Wise choice young man, now it just needs a few more cc's. Thumbs Up


Yeh next bike will be an old school blade Thumbs Up

Not that the new ones are bad, just prefer the old school ones, bit more snarly front end.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:04 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have a talk to craigs23, he's got a 92.

Urban Tiger Blades Thumbs Up one of the bikes that got me into this mess in the first place.

Oh I chose option 5, although I'm more of a put it off, put it off, do the work as quickly as I can then worry about it tomorrow man myself.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:19 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st one, You gotta ride it after all that hard work Shocked
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:37 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did these..
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=67908

The other day, didn't have chance to try them out and the next day went out to pick my girlfriend up and turns out i'd caught the choke cable and it was stuck on Shocked


Usually dont touch anything i'm not 100% confident of, but am still allways really relieved when it dosn't explode/pishoil/spontaiouslycombust e.t.c.

Can't be too carefull though Laughing
https://img384.imageshack.us/img384/3391/dscf00185rt.gif
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:11 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always think Please dont break again. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:45 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what the problem was, or what I'm doing.

If it's something major, normally I'll just check if it starts. And if it does, I know that it'll ride fine.

But I'll never put tools away before the testing stage.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:54 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tools are normally out all the time, spread about over the workbench. Embarassed I normally only bother going out to test it if it's something like valve clearances, fueling or spark plugs. Oh and also if it's work on brakes, I'd rather not set off on a commute to have a wall jump out at me. Smile
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 307 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.42 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 121.63 Kb